PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal WhatsApp By News Highland – September 4, 2012 Twitter The Donegal County Board says it has yet to decide on where any homecoming after the All-Ireland Final would take place.It follows reports that the Letterkenny Chamber had expressed its desire for the homecoming to be held in Letterkenny.In a statement the Donegal County Board said the County Executive in conjunction with senior team management and players, will decide on the issue of a homecoming.Adding: Talks of a homecoming at this point are entirely premature and the focus should be on match preparation rather than events after the final.The County Board says that media reports today claiming that a huge row has broken out among Donegal GAA fans are false.They say the story has been generated by certain media outlets in conjunction with persuasive groups and some elected representatives.The statement concludes that this is most unhelpful as the team prepares for its second ever All Ireland final. Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers Pinterest WhatsApp Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released Media,politicians & persuasive groups blamed for distracting Donegal team Facebook Pinterest Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ Google+ News HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week Facebook Previous articleDublin to Donegal bus service for outpatients is to end for goodNext articleMartin McHugh: home coming debate playing into Mayo’s hands and must stop News Highland
O’FALLON, Mo. (AP) — Killings rose dramatically across the U.S. last year, and a study suggests that the coronavirus pandemic and racial injustice unrest were factors. The study released Monday by the National Commission on COVID-19 and Criminal Justice, along with Arnold Ventures, looked at crime rates in 34 cities. It found a 30% spike in homicides in 2020 compared to 2019. Study leaders called for urgent action to improve relations with police and expand anti-violence initiatives. A study author says many officers were forced to quarantine last year, and maintaining social distancing kept them from the sort of community outreach needed to help stop violence before it happens.
Holy Cross will suspend all on-campus activity until at least April 13 due to coronavirus, Holy Cross President Fr. David Tyson announced in an email Wednesday. Classes are set to resume online Monday, the email said.Holy Cross informed students of its decision amidst similar announcements from Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and other Indiana universities.“While I find it sad that our community will not be together during these weeks, these actions are clearly necessary for our health and the common good,” Tyson said in the email. “As news and events transpire, I will do my best to keep the community informed.”In a follow-up email, dean of students Andrew Polaniecki said all Holy Cross students are advised to return home and stay home until in-person classes resume. All residence halls will close Tuesday at noon. Polaniecki said students worried about making the transition should email him personally.Professors will reach out to students with details specific to individual courses, the email said.All student activities are canceled through April 13. Student-athletes will receive information regarding athletics from the athletics department, Polaniecki said in the email. Campus support services are ready to help students by email and phone.Those who visited countries with a CDC Level 3 travel advisory, as well as anyone who has interacted with someone affected by COVID-19, must self-quarantine for 14 days, Polaniecki said in the email. These students will not be allowed on campus.“Please know of my prayers and the prayers of all of us here at the college during this time,” Polaniecki said in the email. “I hope that we are all back together as a college community soon.”Tags: coronavirus, COVID-19, Holy Cross, Online classes
View Gallery (2 Photos)Pat Muldoon showed flashes of potential last season in a limited role on Wisconsin’s defensive line.But the fact that he was on the field and contributing for the Big Ten champion Badgers was an accomplishment in and of itself.Muldoon suffered a major setback in November of his freshman year when he tore his right ACL as a member of the scout team during practice. But, to make matters worse, about three months later he felt discomfort in his other knee.Muldoon said his knee started “locking up,” and doctors found that “about half or three-quarters” of his knee cartilage was cracked off. Two screws were inserted, and Muldoon was on crutches for another two and a half months.“That just really set me back,” Muldoon said. “I lost basically all my leg strength. It’s been a long road back.”But Muldoon completed the long, tiresome hours of rehabilitation and worked his way into the D-line rotation last season as a redshirt freshman. He saw action in all 13 games and finished the year with seven total tackles and two tackles for loss.But he never felt completely healthy.Now, at the start of spring camp here in his third season, the 6-foot-3, 262-pound defensive end says he’s ready to compete with no limitations.“Finally in winter conditioning is when I’d say I felt 100 percent,” Muldoon said. “I got my strength back. I got stronger in my upper body, and had no real nagging pains or anything.”Muldoon’s complete recovery comes at a perfect time for the UW defense.Last year, Muldoon backed up junior standout J.J. Watt, but when you’re the back-up to a star player, you are not got going to see too much playing time.“I was definitely a role player,” Muldoon said. “But I was happy to get some good experience behind such a good player in J.J.”But even in the snaps he got, Muldoon could sense he wasn’t at his best.“Mentally the hardest thing was not being timid,” Muldoon said. “Sometimes I could feel myself leaning one way to protect the ACL knee more.”That trepidation no longer exists.The redshirt sophomore feels confident in his knees, and now the door is open for him to make a greater impact with Watt declaring for the 2011 NFL draft. He is currently battling junior defensive end David Gilbert for a starting spot on the line opposite senior Louis Nzegwu.Muldoon expects the competition for that spot to wage on all the way until the season opener, but regardless of who wins the starting job, there will be plenty of snaps to go around as UW employs a deep rotation to keep linemen fresh.“It’ll be great just to be given a shot,” Muldoon said. “I’m still competing with some other great players to win a role, and we should have a really good D-line this year.”One of the anchors and leaders of the D-line will be fifth-year senior Patrick Butrym, and he anticipates Muldoon playing a substantial role for the Badger defense.“Patty got some really valuable experience last year,” Burtym said. “There is no question I’m confident in his ability to step in next year and do a phenomenal job.”Like Butrym, the Wisconsin coaching staff has been excited about Mudloon’s skill set and potential ever since the Ohio native came to the program from St. Xavier High School.Muldoon is planning on finally putting those skills on full display.“I like to think I’m a technician. I work hard. I know the playbook well,” Muldoon said.“Just go 100 percent every play.”With the injuries now in the past, he finally can.
Last season, when a Syracuse point guard dribbled toward the right wing for a handoff, Tyus Battle usually took the ball to attack left. But late in the first half Wednesday night in Syracuse’s 89-52 exhibition win over Le Moyne, Battle did the dribbling and handing off to Elijah Hughes, who pulled up to knock down a 3. Battle, after two exhibition games against Division II opponents as Syracuse’s point guard due to injury, is settling into his temporary role. He finished with five assists and no turnovers against Le Moyne.“I was low on turnovers, tried to find the open guy, tried to make the right play,” Battle said. “So I’m getting more comfortable with it as time goes on.”Battle, a 6-foot-6 junior, exemplifies the modern shooting guard. His size gives him the length he needs to blow by defenders with a quick, long first step. He operated most of last season, during which he averaged a team-leading 19.2 points per game, from the wings, where he could work off high screens to showcase the one-on-one ability that made him a near-NBA Draft pick.The former five-star recruit decided to come back to No. 16 Syracuse for his junior season. But he didn’t anticipate moving down from shooting guard to the point.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textA series of injuries set him up as the Orange’s point guard, at least for now, with returning starter Frank Howard, freshman Jalen Carey and sophomore Howard Washington all sidelined with injuries in varying degrees. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said Wednesday night that he’s “not a doctor,” and doesn’t know exactly when his point guards will return to game action. SU’s regular season starts Tuesday, Nov. 6.“We’ll see how the health of our point guards is over the next few days, but at least now we’ve had two games where we’ve played with Tyus handling the ball,” Boeheim said. “That’s good for us.”Because Syracuse’s offense a season ago centered on three players — Battle, Howard and forward Oshae Brissett — Battle did a lot of ball handling himself. But then, Battle knew Boeheim wanted him to score. He’d receive a down screen and attack the basket. In SU’s two exhibitions, though, Battle’s movement has been more side-to-side, drive and kick to Hughes, Buddy Boeheim or Brissett on a wing. After Wednesday’s win, Battle spoke about the importance of the point guard recognizing the hot hand, and Hughes’ 21, Brissett’s 14 and Buddy’s 13 were due in large part to Battle’s facilitation.“This year, other guys score the ball and any player can get going on any given night,” Battle said. “And when they get going, we want to give them the ball.”Position change is not foreign to Battle over his Syracuse career. A year ago, he bumped down to forward when Syracuse played its three-guard lineup, usually due to foul trouble with its bigs. That put Battle at the bottom of the zone on occasion and in somewhat awkward spots offensively, because he wasn’t where he’s used to being: up top, near or at the wings. Entering 2018, before SU’s point guard injuries, this much was clear: He thrives as a true shooting guard.Yet Battle’s progression in reading the floor from the point is encouraging, he said Wednesday. He said he’s seeing plays develop and is hitting players with passes he may not have made a year ago. He also said he’s more confident in his ball handling, which was suspect during his first two seasons at SU. His ball-handling development could make him more of a threat when he returns to his usual role.“He’s a pretty good ball handler,” Boeheim said. “It’s hard to make that switch, he’s always been a scoring guard. I think he’s done a good job of it but he’s still more of a scoring guard. I think the thing he did tonight, what he’s gotta do is get to the basket, that’s what he does best.”When Battle checked out with 8:36 to go on Wednesday, he sat down with Howard and Carey to his left on the SU bench. They laughed on and off for the rest of the game. Battle said that at that point, the guards weren’t talking about playing point, just “playing around.”But come next Tuesday, for Syracuse’s regular-season opener, one of those three will have to run the show. Published on October 31, 2018 at 10:36 pm Contact Matthew: [email protected] | @MatthewGut21 Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments