A program to help Colombian citizens heal from the murder, kidnapping, and violence of that country’s long-running civil war is the most ambitious of its kind, a new Harvard analysis says, but it’s so big that there are serious questions about whether it can reach its goals.The program seeks to compensate between 5.2 million and 7 million people — 11 to 15 percent of the nation’s population — for harm suffered since the civil war began in 1964. So far, some 5.2 million people have registered with the program, and 400,000 have received reparations.“We were really not aware of how exceptional it is,” said Kathryn Sikkink, the Ryan Family Professor of Human Rights Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). “Just on scale alone, it’s off the charts.”While Sikkink and colleagues expressed admiration for the program’s ambition and the speed with which it has ramped up from a staff of two or three in 2013 to 5,000 today, they also expressed doubt whether it was robust enough, and would have the resources, to compensate everyone who qualifies by the time the reparations law expires in 2021.“I think in terms of getting people to register for reparations, it’s been a huge success. The caveat is whether they will be successful in carrying it out by 2021,” said Phuong Pham, an assistant professor of medicine who is a research scientist at the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, and who worked on the report.The report was drafted by a team made up of Sikkink, Pham, Assistant Professor of Medicine Patrick Vinck, and Douglas Johnson, director of the Carr Center for Human Rights Policy. Each took the lead on a major section, with Sikkink conducting a comparative analysis of “transitional justice” programs in 31 other countries, Pham conducting survey research to see how the program is being received by the population and those it seeks to serve, and Johnson providing an analysis to offer advice on how the program can achieve its aims.Their work caught the eye of Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, an HKS alumnus who was re-elected recently at least partly on the strength of his peace-making efforts. The reparations program has figured in negotiations with the largest rebel group, FARC, and Santos asked Sikkink and Pham to travel to Colombia in June to present their findings.“That’s the best we can hope for from any research, that somebody takes some action based on it,” Pham said.Colombia’s civil war, the last in Latin America and one of the longest in the world today, dates at least to the 1960s. The conflict has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, displaced millions, and involved several armed groups. Peace, Sikkink said, would be a major advance not just for Colombia, but for the world.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Nassau County police released Wednesday a sketch and video of the armed robber wanted for shooting and killing a 43-year-old man outside of the victim’s Mineola home seven weeks ago.The victim’s brother told investigators that he overheard the assailant say “give me the money” before shooting Oscar Granados outside of the Roslyn Road home that the victim shared with his family at 9:42 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 11, police have said.“We don’t have any intimate knowledge of him being followed or this just occurring on the street,” Det. Capt. John Azzata, commander of the Homicide Squad, told reporters Wednesday during a news conference at police headquarters.Azzata confirmed that Granados had been gambling earlier that evening and was known to carry cash. He said it is unclear if the victim walked away from a game with big winnings, but he still had some cash on him when police arrived.A taxi cab driver had dropped the victim off moment before the robber confronted him, police have said.Police released the sketch and video in the hope that someone will recognize him—perhaps even through his distinct way of walking—and turn in the gunmen, who is believed to still be on Long Island.“We have no reason to believe he’s left the area,” Azzata said.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information regarding this crime to call Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous. Crime Stoppers is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Philadelphia District joined elected officials and partners on May 25, 2018 to celebrate the completion of the Absecon Inlet seawall and boardwalk rebuild in Atlantic City.The project – one of the more complex construction efforts undertaken by the District in recent years – involved building two separate seawall structures along approximately 1700 feet of the inlet and rebuilding the historic boardwalk.“We’ve accomplished two important goals with this project – to reduce coastal storm damage risk and help the city restore access and recreational opportunities along the inlet,” said Deputy Commander Maj. Brian Corbin. “I’d like to thank our dedicated team and our contractor J Fletcher Creamer & Son for their efforts on this project.”Other speakers included Congressman Frank LoBiondo, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Catherine McCabe, Executive Director of the Governor’s Office of Rebuild and Recovery Dan Kelly, and Atlantic City Mayor Frank Gilliam.In 2012, the District was moving forward to construct the seawall project. Then, Hurricane Sandy demolished the remaining boardwalk and caused significant damage in the inlet area. After the storm, the District partnered with the state and the city to incorporate the boardwalk into the design of the seawall.“This required a major redesign of the project, but ultimately met the needs of our partners,” said Project Manager Keith Watson.Construction began in 2015. Progress was slowed by several storms in 2015 and 2016, but contractor J Fletcher Creamer worked through the challenges of building the seawall in an area of the inlet exposed to the force of the ocean.Quick facts:Total Stone (all stone): 99,000 tons;Total Capstone: 60,926 tons; placed approximately 6,800 stones (average size of 10.9 tons in Structure 1 and 3.5 tons in Structure 2);Length of Boardwalk: 2,650 feet;Length of Seawall: 1776 feet (Structure 1 – 1450 feet; Structure 2 – 326 feet).
“I never had any doubt about his talent. He distinguishes himself anytime and he is focused. I always knew he would go places and I am not surprised at the height he is taking his football to,” the founder of Nathaniel Boys, Yemi Idowu told THISDAY.Leicester had tabled a £16 million for the Genk midfielder, though the Belgian club wants £20 million for the Nigeria international but the Foxes fully expect to complete a deal early in the January transfer window. The 19-year-old is viewed as one of the brightest prospects in Belgian football and Genk know they are facing a losing battle to keep him.But they are determined to maximise his value when the transfer window reopens with both clubs remaining in contact with a view to concluding a January deal. Ndidi is viewed as the long term replacement for N’Golo Kante, who left for Chelsea in the summer.However, director of sport, Dimitri De Conde insisted that he would frustrate Ndidi’s move to Leicester in the January transfer window, just as he stated that the club is already planning to replace the player next summer if he eventually joins the Foxes. He added that Leicester is not the only club interested in the 20-year-old midfielder.“Seeing Ndidi leave in January? It’s possible, but I’m going to do everything in my power to stop it from happening. Our plan was to replace him next season. Yes, we’re talking with Leicester, but they aren’t the only club interested,” De Conde told L’Avenir newspaper.Ndidi will join Leicester after he completed a medical with the Premier League champion and has agreed a five-year contract. He will join his international team‑mate, Ahmed Musa.In a chat with THISDAY, former Nigerian international, Waidi Akani said Ndidi’s proposed move to the English Premier League was a good omen for him, the Super Eagles and the Nigerian football fans.“Without trying to take anything away from the Belgian league, it should be a stepping stone for any footballer that wants to go places. It should just be used as a ladder to join the big leagues in Europe and that is exactly what Ndidi has done. I watched him developed while he was with Nathaniel Boys and there was never any doubt about his talent,” Akani said.The former Super Eagles defensive midfielder said the national team would also benefit from Ndidi’s Premier League move.“His move to England would also benefit the national team technical crew, in that playing alongside national teammate, Musa they would develop good understanding, which would make the job of the Super Eagles coaches simpler.“Moreover, the move to England would further expose Ndidi, as he would be seen week-in-week-out all over as against the Belgian league which is hardly seen on television.“Nigerian football fans will be able to watch another of their players on a weekly basis. On the whole, the move is a welcome development and one can only hope and pray that he settles fast to the English style of football,” the former NEPA of Lagos player said.Meanwhile, Alex McLeish, who bought the teenager when he was Genk Manager says Ndidi can eventually be the solution, saying the prospective signing can be their next Kante.The former Birmingham and Aston Villa boss believes the Nigerian youngster is well-suited to the Premier League after snapping him up for Genk for a bargain of £80,000.McLeish acted after a recommendation from scout Roland Janssen, who spotted Ndidi in Lagos in an academy tournament and brought him to Genk for a trial.The 57-year-old Scot, who was in charge of the Belgians for the 2014-2015 Season, told MirrorSport: “He is Kante-like. He will cover the ground like Kante does. In terms of technique, you wouldn’t say he is the best passer in the world but he keeps it simple. I saw him on tape and at the next recruitment meeting we pushed the button. I immediately saw the speed of the boy.“We had no money to spend on any bigger names to help the first team because those were the parameters under which I took the job. But I said, ‘Let’s get this guy’, I recommended we signed him for 100,000 Euros. I’ve taken a big interest in the kid since and they want a fortune for him now.”McLeish handed Ndidi his debut in January 2015, when injuries and international call-ups to the Africa Cup of Nations saw him play Ndidi out of position at left-back. But he saw enough in a 1-0 away loss at Charleroi to know the youngster would have a big future.The Scot’s successor, Peter Maes, then started to play Ndidi in midfield as he matured.McLeish added: “I gave him his debut at left-back, because we were absolutely short. He did well for a kid just coming in that day and was amazing. He is lean and has a fantastic spring. His speed got him out of a lot of trouble and although we lost the game 1-0, we all agreed he could be a big player for the team.“We all felt midfield would probably be where he could be most effective. He has blossomed after my successor decided to move him there.”McLeish added: “I have always promoted kids, since my days at Rangers, Motherwell and Hibs“Some of them don’t quite make it as there is a high attrition rate, but when you see the ones that do, it gives you great satisfaction. To see the progress Ndidi has made since is brilliant and he has had a great year at Genk.”It however remains to be seen whether Ndidi would live up to expectations.Born on December 16, 1996, Ndidi has made appearances for the Nigerian U-20 team at the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup. He is known for his versatility and can play as a central defender, defensive midfielder or full back.Ndidi exploded onto the scene during his first full season in 2015/2016 Belgian league.Originally playing in the center-back position, he displayed a wide range of passing and shooting than needed for the role. He was redeployed as a defensive midfielder and central midfielder for the rest of the season. During the Belgian playoff game against Club Brugge, Ndidi scored a world class goal and it was named the goal of the season in the Belgian league.He received the award as the third-best young player in the Belgian league for the 2015/2016 season.Ndidi was part of the Nigerian youth setup during his time at Nathaniel Boys of Lagos. While playing the African U-17 Championship with Nigeria, he was excluded along with two other players from the competition as a precaution, following an MRI test that showed he was just slightly above the threshold.Notwithstanding, he joined up with his teammates in the U-20 team the following year, forming the bedrock of the midfield. He was called up to the senior national team on October 8, 2015., making his debut in the friendly against DR Congo, and playing again a few days later in the 3-0 win against Cameroon, as a replacement for Mikel Obi.Ndidi is expected to travel to England on January 1 ahead of his unveiling by Leicester.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Just two years ago, Wilfred Ndidi was playing for Lagos amateur youth side, Nathaniel Boys, before he was spotted by scouts of Belgian side, K.R. C Genk. After a successful trial with the Belgium club, he made his debut for the club in January 2014. He was also part of the Nigerian team at the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup, where he put up a decent showing. Though, not very convincing in Super Eagles’ last two 2018 World qualifiers against Zambia and Algeria, he’s now set to play for Leicester. Kunle Adewale writes about Ndidi’s proposed move to English champions, Leicester and his chances of being successfulAfter doing the unthinkable last season by emerging English Premier League champions, it has been a different story for Leicester City this season. The champions now occupy the 16th position in the league. One of the reasons attributed to this unimpressive performance of Cladio Ranieri-led team is the exit of their tough man in the midfield–N’Golo Kante. That is why Leicester has made a January move for Nigeria’s Wilfred Ndidi as a replacement for Kante.
Share on WhatsApp Share on LinkedIn Share via Email Support The Guardian Europe Marathon running Athletics Share on Pinterest Since you’re here… Share on Messenger Italy The organisers of a half-marathon in the northern Italian city of Trieste have backtracked on their decision to exclude African athletes from the race following accusations of racism.“After launching a provocation that hit a nerve, drawing great attention to a fundamental issue, contrary to what was communicated yesterday, we will also invite African athletes,” Fabio Carini, the manager of the Trieste running festival, said in a statement.Carini provoked fury on Saturday after saying only European professional runners would be invited to take part in the event on 5 May in order to draw attention to the exploitation of African athletes.“This year we decided to only take European athletes to make a point that measures must be taken to regulate what is a trade in very high-worth African athletes, who are simply exploited,” he originally told La Repubblica. “This is something we can no longer accept.”Carini argued that African runners were paid much less than they were worth.Isabella De Monte, an MEP with the centre-left Democratic party, led the outrage, suggesting the organisers were “cleansing sport”.“The exploitation of athletes is being used as a fig leaf – regarding such questions, there are places and appropriate bodies to turn to,” she added. “This is truly absurd: professionals are being prevented from taking part in a competition because they come from Africa.”Luigi Di Maio, the deputy prime minister, said while it was correct to call out the exploitation of African athletes, barring them from taking part in the race was “not the way to do it”.Giancarlo Giorgetti, the junior sports minister with the far-right League, pledged to open a parliamentary inquiry.As the controversy raged, the Italian Federation of Athletics said it had opened an investigation “to examine the facts and possible violations of its standards and regulations committed by affiliated clubs or licensees”.Olivier Irabaruta, an Olympic athlete from Burundi, was the male winner of last year’s Trieste half-marathon. Elvanie Nimbona, also from Burundi, won the women’s race. Topics … we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many new organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share on Twitter Share on Facebook news Reuse this content