6 former youth detention center employees arrested on sexual assault charges

first_imgBlakeDavidTaylor/iStockBy AARON KATERSKY and IVAN PEREIRA, ABC News(MANCHESTER, N.H.) — Six men were arrested Wednesday as part of an ongoing investigation into claims of sexual assault at a state-run youth detention center in New Hampshire, authorities said.The Sununu Youth Services Center, formerly known as the Youth Development Center, in Manchester has been under investigation since July 2019, when two former counselors were charged with 82 counts of rape.Those charges were dropped last year to strengthen a broader investigation that has resulted now in the re-arrest of the two former counselors, along with four employees.The suspects were all staff members of the detention center, and the allegations that they sexually assaulted teens span an 11-year period between 1994 and 2005, according to court documents.Lucien Poulette, 65, was charged with 33 sexual assault-related charges related to allegations by seven former residents of the Youth Development Center, the New Hampshire State Police said. Frank Davis, 79, was charged with six sexual assault-related charges, connected to allegations by two former residents.Bradley Asbury, 66, was arrested on one count of aggravated felonious sexual assault (accomplice) for an allegation by one former resident of the detention center, according to the state police. James Woodlock, 56, was charged with three counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault (accomplice) stemming from allegations of two former residents, the state police said.Poulette, Asbury, Davis and Woodlock are being held without bail, according to police.Two suspects were also arrested in Massachusetts and have waived their extradition, the police said.Stephen Murphy, 51, was charged with five counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault regarding allegations by three former residents of the Youth Development Center, the state police said. Jeffrey Buskey, 54, was also charged with five counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, and his charges stem from allegations by four former residents, according to investigators.The six suspects were scheduled to be arraigned Thursday. Attorney information was not immediately available.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Painting looted by Nazis to be returned to Jewish heirs

first_imgBERLIN (AP) — A commission in Germany has ruled that a painting by expressionist Erich Heckel that is in a German art museum was likely unlawfully obtained under the Nazis and should be returned to the heirs of a Jewish historian who once owned it. The commission said Heckel’s “Geschwister,” or “Siblings,” was owned by Jewish historian Max Fischer until 1934, the year before he fled Germany. The 1913 painting ended up back with Heckel, and the artist donated it to the Kunsthalle Karlsruhe museum in 1967. The commission said Tuesday that it had to assume Fischer lost possession of the painting due to Nazi persecution. His heirs have said they plan on donating the piece to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.last_img

Government’s statements on new normal confusing: Muhammadiyah

first_imgMuhammadiyah questioned whether the government’s decision to implement new normal protocols had been backed by epidemiologists through thorough assessments.“All parties hope the pandemic ends soon. But everything needs to be assessed thoroughly so that our efforts over the past three months will end well,” the statement reads, referring to large-scale social restrictions that have been in place in some areas since March.In the past three days, Indonesia recorded over 600 new confirmed cases with another 678 new cases reported on Friday.The Health Ministry has confirmed fluctuating numbers of new cases daily, with several record highs of new cases and jumps recorded in the past two weeks, despite the government’s occasional claim that the curve has flattened.Muhammadiyah’s Yogyakarta provincial branch (PWM DIY) issued a call on Friday reminding its members to continue staying and praying at home in a bid to further curb the spread of COVID-19.The call was issued after PWM DIY held a meeting on Thursday night in response to the provincial administration’s decision to extend the PSBB, which was initially to end on May 31, to June 30.Read also: Epidemiologist claims easing PSBB could prolong COVID-19 crisis until 2024“We consider this necessary because Yogyakarta province is still in need of large-scale social restrictions,” Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta branch chairman Gita Danu Pranata told The Jakarta Post on Friday.The one-page statement called on Muslims to continue conducting prayers at home, including Friday prayers that would normally be held at mosques.As of Friday, Yogyakarta recorded 230 new cases of COVID-19 with 149 recoveries and eight deaths.Topics : The statement also cites National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) data that indicates the outbreak in the country is not yet under in control.“It therefore makes sense if the public’s perception is that the [plan to loosen restrictions] means economic interests take precedent over the people’s lives,” according to the statement.“Keeping the economy running is important, but saving people’s lives is no less important given the uncertainty of whether the COVID-19 infection can be stopped.”Read also: Four regions call off PSBB amid lack of funds, central government’s easing plan As Indonesia has yet to see the curve of COVID-19 infection flatten, the government’s decision to roll out guidelines on easing COVID-19 restrictions under its so-called new normal protocols has created confusion among the public, according to Islamic organization Muhammadiyah.“The government’s recent statements about the new normal has raised questions and caused confusion in the community,” reads a statement that was jointly signed by Muhammadiyah chairman Haedar Nashir and secretary Abdul Mu’ti on Thursday.In some areas, malls and shopping centers are open while mosques and worship houses remain closed. “This has the potential of causing tension between government institutions and congregations,” the statement reads.last_img read more

‘I don’t know Jack like that’ – Wallace insists relationship does not exist

first_imgDEPOSED Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president William Wallace has distanced himself from any link between himself and former T&T football top man Jack Warner.Warner, who received a ban from football for life in 2015 and is still facing extradition to the United States on corruption charges, was a known supporter of Wallace ahead of his successful bid to oust former president David John-Williams three months ago.Speculation has since been rife that an association between Wallace and the former disgraced FIFA official was one of the reasons the world football governing body disbanded the newly elected TTFA administration.  Wallace was quick to insist, however, that he did not have a close relationship with Warner and indicated as much to FIFA.“That is a perceived relationship and one that I don’t have; when it came to the fore, I wrote FIFA, I wrote CONCACAF indicating to CONCACAF that there is no such relationship with Mr Jack Warner and I guess that if at the end of the day that letter meant nothing then so be it,” Wallace said in an interview with the Good Morning Jojo Sports Show.Wallace, who was relieved of his duties by FIFA last week, went on to point out that he received solid support from a lot of individuals who wanted change during the election and that he could not control who Warner chose to support.“We had a host of people supporting us and actually, we won the election 26 votes to 20 votes so it meant that 26 of the delegates supported me along with many other Trinidadians who felt at that point in time that something was definitely wrong with the organisation at that point and they needed a change; so as a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, even though Jack Warner expressed his opinion in terms that there should be change at the association then he has a right to do that, I really can’t stop him from doing that,” he added.FIFA sent word of its decision to replace the TTFA executive with a normalisation committee two weeks ago in the face of what it described as extremely low overall financial management methods, combined with massive debt.  A surprised Wallace, who pointed to positive meeting with FIFA only a few weeks prior has vowed to fight the decision. (Sportsmax)last_img read more