Detained opposition journalist begins another hunger strike

first_img News News News Follow the news on Azerbaijan AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia April 9, 2021 Find out more June 8, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information Organisation to go furthercenter_img RSF_en News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan Reporters Without Borders voiced concern today about the state of health of imprisoned journalist Sakit Zahidov, who began a hunger strike on 3 February to protest against his conditions of detention and to demand medical attention. He has been detained since 23 June 2006.“We call for Zahidov’s immediate release, especially as the reasons for which he is being held are above all political,” the press freedom organisation said. “The OSCE has been voicing its support for him since 2006. If the authorities want to show they are interested in protecting free expression, releasing Zahidov would be a good start.”Zahidov already staged two hunger strikes in July and October 2007. He is demanding to be transferred to a hospital for treatment but the authorities at N14 prison, where he is being held, and the prison doctors have refused. His wife, Rena Zahidova, said: “His condition is deteriorating, he can no longer walk, but he is pressing on with his hunger strike.”Zahidov, who works for the opposition daily Azadlig, was sentenced on 4 October 2006 to three years in prison for “possession of drugs for personal consumption” under article 234.1 of the criminal code, although no evidence was produced to support this charge during the trial. Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh June 4, 2021 Find out more “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia February 6, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Detained opposition journalist begins another hunger strikelast_img read more

Body of toddler who ride-share driver said was sold for $10,000 found in Pennsylvania park: Authorities

first_img(Credit: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children) Nalani Johnson in an undated photo. (BLAIRSVILLE, Pa.) — The toddler who went missing after a ride-share driver claimed her family sold her for $10,000 has been found dead in a Pennsylvania nature park, authorities said.The Allegheny County Police Department and Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty announced Tuesday night that the body of 1-year-old Nalani Johnson, who went missing on Saturday, had been found.On Wednesday, Dougherty announced during a brief news conference that Nalani’s body was found in Pine Ridge Park in Blairsville, Pennsylvania, some 40 miles east of where the girl had last been seen, according to ABC Pittsburgh affiliate WTAE.“This is not the outcome that any of us would have wished,” Allegheny County Police Superintendent Coleman McDonough said in a statement. “We will continue to keep the Johnson family in our thoughts.”An Amber Alert was issued Saturday after 25-year-old ride-share driver Sharena Nancy drove off with Nalani still in her car seat, the girl’s father, 21-year-old Paul Johnson, told police.Johnson and Nancy had been involved in a romantic relationship that began online months ago, McDonough told reporters at a news conference Tuesday. An argument that sparked between Nancy and Johnson’s friend, Justin Rouse, Saturday afternoon culminated in Johnson and Rouse exiting Nancy’s Toyota Yaris at an intersection in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania, and Nancy driving off before Johnson could unbuckle his daughter, authorities said.When Nancy was pulled over two hours later, neither Nalani nor the car seat were in the vehicle, according to authorities.Nancy initially told investigators during an interview that Johnson “sold” his daughter to an unnamed individual for $10,000 and gave her instructions to drop the child off to a woman who would “flag” her down along U.S. Route 22, according to a criminal complaint filed by the police department on Saturday.Nancy claimed she encountered two woman next to a silver SUV with out-of-state license plates and turned the girl over to them, according to the complaint. Detectives have not found any evidence to corroborate Nancy’s account, McDonough said.Nancy was charged with kidnapping of a minor, interference with custody of children and concealment of the whereabouts of a child, according to the criminal complaint. It’s unclear whether she has retained an attorney or entered a plea.Although Nancy’s vehicle had Uber and Lyft stickers on it, she was not acting in the capacity of a ride-share driver at the time of Nalani’s disappearance, McDonough said. Spokespeople for Uber and Lyft confirmed to ABC News that Nancy did not take any rides that day. In addition, Nancy’s account with Lyft has been deactivated, the company’s spokesman said.Nalani would have turned 2 this month, WTAE reported. The circumstances surrounding her death remain unclear, but an autopsy is scheduled to be completed on Wednesday, Dougherty said.Investigators are requesting business owners and residents along the Route 22 corridor check for surveillance footage that may be relevant to the investigation. Detectives are also looking for anyone who knows Nancy or may have information on Nalani’s disappearance or death to contact them.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.,(Credit: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children) Nalani Johnson in an undated photo. (BLAIRSVILLE, Pa.) — The toddler who went missing after a ride-share driver claimed her family sold her for $10,000 has been found dead in a Pennsylvania nature park, authorities said.The Allegheny County Police Department and Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty announced Tuesday night that the body of 1-year-old Nalani Johnson, who went missing on Saturday, had been found.On Wednesday, Dougherty announced during a brief news conference that Nalani’s body was found in Pine Ridge Park in Blairsville, Pennsylvania, some 40 miles east of where the girl had last been seen, according to ABC Pittsburgh affiliate WTAE.“This is not the outcome that any of us would have wished,” Allegheny County Police Superintendent Coleman McDonough said in a statement. “We will continue to keep the Johnson family in our thoughts.”An Amber Alert was issued Saturday after 25-year-old ride-share driver Sharena Nancy drove off with Nalani still in her car seat, the girl’s father, 21-year-old Paul Johnson, told police.Johnson and Nancy had been involved in a romantic relationship that began online months ago, McDonough told reporters at a news conference Tuesday. An argument that sparked between Nancy and Johnson’s friend, Justin Rouse, Saturday afternoon culminated in Johnson and Rouse exiting Nancy’s Toyota Yaris at an intersection in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania, and Nancy driving off before Johnson could unbuckle his daughter, authorities said.When Nancy was pulled over two hours later, neither Nalani nor the car seat were in the vehicle, according to authorities.Nancy initially told investigators during an interview that Johnson “sold” his daughter to an unnamed individual for $10,000 and gave her instructions to drop the child off to a woman who would “flag” her down along U.S. Route 22, according to a criminal complaint filed by the police department on Saturday.Nancy claimed she encountered two woman next to a silver SUV with out-of-state license plates and turned the girl over to them, according to the complaint. Detectives have not found any evidence to corroborate Nancy’s account, McDonough said.Nancy was charged with kidnapping of a minor, interference with custody of children and concealment of the whereabouts of a child, according to the criminal complaint. It’s unclear whether she has retained an attorney or entered a plea.Although Nancy’s vehicle had Uber and Lyft stickers on it, she was not acting in the capacity of a ride-share driver at the time of Nalani’s disappearance, McDonough said. Spokespeople for Uber and Lyft confirmed to ABC News that Nancy did not take any rides that day. In addition, Nancy’s account with Lyft has been deactivated, the company’s spokesman said.Nalani would have turned 2 this month, WTAE reported. The circumstances surrounding her death remain unclear, but an autopsy is scheduled to be completed on Wednesday, Dougherty said.Investigators are requesting business owners and residents along the Route 22 corridor check for surveillance footage that may be relevant to the investigation. Detectives are also looking for anyone who knows Nancy or may have information on Nalani’s disappearance or death to contact them.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Jamiroquai Performs “Automaton” on Late Night Television Ahead Of Coachella [Watch]

first_imgTonight, Jamiroquai will perform their first U.S. show in thirteen years at the 19th annual Coachella in Indio, California (and it will be live streamed here). Ahead of the big performance, Jay Kay and company stopped by The Late Late Show With James Corden for a late-night national television guest spot on Thursday. Performing the title track from their 2017 release Automaton, the 4-minute performance dazzled the world with its electronic synth grooves and funkified dance moves.In addition to marking their first U.S. shows in more than a decade, Jamiroquai’s Coachella performances are the first of four total confirmed American shows this year. In between Coachella sets (April 13 & 20), Jay Kay and company will head to San Francisco to perform the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium on April 17. On September 8, the band will head to New York City to perform the Forest Hills Stadium in Queens, NY. Additionally, Suwannee Hulaween recently revealed the dates for their 2018 festival with a short animated video and snuck in a massive hint pointing to Jamiroquai as their 2018 headliner. In the clip, the band’s familiar silhouette symbol appears in the corner of the frame, suggesting that Jamiroquai will be performing at the sixth annual event.So now that Jamiroquai is officially on American soil, it’s game on. Watch the mesmerizing video from last night’s television performance below:[Video: The Late Late Show With James Corden]It’s been over a year since Jamiroquai announced their triumphant return after spending years outside the spotlight. In March of 2017, the group released Automaton, a follow up to 2010’s Rock Dust Light Star marking the band’s eighth studio album. To complement their new album, the funk favorites embarked on a global tour, hitting Tokyo and Seoul in addition to major cities across Europe. However, North American cities were conspicuously left off of Jamiroquai’s 2017 comeback tour, leading many to hope that 2018 will see the group hitting the U.S. Here we are, with four shows ahead of us, and it feels damn good.last_img read more