Sanchez was a completely different player for Arsenal (Picture: Getty Images)Rueda added: ‘He came to the Copa America in Brazil and then he was very unlucky to get injured in Alicante in a friendly against Colombia. It almost frustrated his loan to Inter.‘Once he had recovered, the [coronavirus] pandemic happened. I hope it [coronavirus] passes fast because he is a great professional. ‘He has a great training culture and he will maintain a high level at any club that can give him an opportunity. He has a lot of football yet to show at the top level.’More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errorsGiven the financial uncertainty caused by the coronavirus, former Gunners star Paul Merson believes United boss Ole Gunnar Solskaer could do a lot worse than holding onto Sanchez this summer, he told Sky Sports: ‘With what’s currently going on, I can’t see a team going out and spending £100m on a player anymore.‘Teams are going to have to stick with what they’ve got so Manchester United keeping hold of Alexis Sanchez and bringing him back into the fold would come as no surprise. ‘The other options would be to go and find a replacement and they would have to spend £60m or £70m to do it. I just don’t think clubs are going to do that anymore, and actually, I don’t think people care.’MORE: Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay posts incredible 5k timeMORE: Chelsea target Samuel Chukwueze claims he cried after club’s Champions League final defeat to Manchester UnitedFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 21 Apr 2020 7:48 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.8kShares Comment Advertisement Sanchez struggled to find his form at United (Picture: Getty Images)Chile manager Reinaldo Rueda has admitted Manchester United flop Alexis Sanchez suffered a ‘tortuous’ time during his debut season at Old Trafford.The 31-year-old made the switch from Arsenal to the Red Devils in 2018 and has failed to live up to his £30million transfer fee and astronomical £400k-per-week wages.Before being shipped out to Inter Milan on a season-long loan at the start of this campaign, Sanchez scored just three goals in 32 Premier League appearances but his struggles weren’t confined to the pitch.Read the latest updates: Coronavirus news liveADVERTISEMENTThe South American forward’s international coach Rueda told Diario Sport: ‘It’s been a traumatic year for him, very tortuous, even after his departure from Arsenal, his first year in Manchester.’AdvertisementAdvertisementSanchez’s fortunes started turn to around during his spell in Serie A, before the league season was postponed over the coronavirus pandemic.But an ankle injury suffered while playing for his country in October threatened to ruin the Chile international’s loan move. Man Utd flop Alexis Sanchez faced ‘traumatic year’ after leaving Arsenal Advertisement
“It would be awful. But Kobe should be on the All-Star team,” said Rivers, who argued Bryant, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett should automatically make the team in the last year of their NBA careers. “Certain guys earn that right. Unfortunately for other guys that can’t make it, they have to earn that right.” Bryant, who has played small forward this season, is ahead of Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant (349,473 votes), Griffin (182,107) and San Antonio’s Kawhi Leonard (164,521). Fans can select up to three frontcourt players to start. Once voting ends on Jan. 18, NBA coaches can select the reserves.“Every year guys don’t get to play in the All-Star game who probably deserve to because of the 12-man roster. If it was me, you kind of understand. It’s kind of just a tip of the cap to a guy that’s come before you that’s paved the road for a lot of guys,” Griffin said. “And the All-Star game is for the fans. The fans vote. We play for the fans. It’s not a real game, no one’s really out there trying too hard. But we’re trying to put on a show and have a good time for the fans. So if the fans want to see Kobe Bryant in the All-Star game, that’s what they should get.”That will happen barring Bryant experiencing a major injury. “I have plenty of time off coming up” Bryant said. “I enjoy trying to play as much as I can. If physically I can’t play, if I’m not out there you know I physically can’t do it. If I’m able, I’m all for it. it’ll be fun to go out there and play of the guys and hang around them for one more time.”Tough pitchThe assignment became as difficult as stopping Jordan from throwing down an alley-oop lob. The Lakers hoped they could convince Jordan to leave a less talented team for less money by touting the franchise’s championship history and platform to have what Scott called “a fresh start.” “Start over with some young talent and help them develop,” Scott said. “Hopefully when we get a couple of guys to go along with him, we could be a team that definitely would compete for a championship.”All the attention surrounding Jordan’s free-agency centered on two things. He withdrew his verbal commitment with the Dallas Mavericks. Numerous reports emerged regarding Jordan’s frustration with Chris Paul’s demanding leadership style and his role on the Clippers. But another subplot involved the Lakers’ free agency failures. They missed out last summer on all their intended targets, including LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Monroe and Jordan. “The two teams in L.A. will always be an option for everybody else. You see the traffic every day, right?” Rivers said. “People like living here. Despite the taxes, they still like living here. It tells you something. And the Lakers have a ton of money. So I think the Lakers are a free agent destination for a lot of people.”With Bryant’s retirement after this season, the Lakers will have enough cap space to sign two players to max deals.“It was an experience in education with some of the things we did,” Scott said. “This summer, we’ll sit down and talk about our approach as far as guys we’ll target.” Before they voted, the fans did not take into account Kobe Bryant’s fight against Father Time. Nor did fans worry about the Lakers’ season-long struggles.Bryant still led in the first returns on the 2016 NBA All-Star ballot with 719,235 votes. That marked a huge lead over Golden State’s Stephen Curry (510,202) and Cleveland’s LeBron James (357,937). That left Bryant “shocked” as he read the news on his Instragram account while he was out on Christmas Day grabbing coffee and filling up on gas. Though Bryant called the results “a huge honor,” the Lakers’ star sounded mindful of the implications.The All-Star games are always tough. There’s always players that deserve to make it that don’t,” Bryant said. “Every year with the amount of talent that we have, that part of it is tough. But getting the respect from the peers and other coaches around the league is awesome.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error That was apparent before the Lakers’ 94-84 loss to the Clippers on Friday at a designated road game at Staples Center. “The fans are showing a lot of love for one of the greatest guys to play the game,” Lakers coach Byron Scott said. “It’s obviously a tribute to him. I don’t think it has to do a whole lot of this year. It’s more his body of work. The fans are showing their appreciation.”Clippers coach Doc Rivers argued “Kobe should be on the All-Star team” averaging 17.4 points on 34.4 percent shooting because he is playing in his 20th and final NBA season.“I don’t care how he gets on there,” said Rivers, who argued the NBA should add a 13th roster spot if needed. “I’m a big believer in that. A lot of people disagree with me on that. That’s fine. I have my opinion.”But what if Bryant, who is listed as a frontcourt player, makes his 18th All-Star appearance on Feb. 14 in Toronto at the expense of the Clippers’ Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan?
by Will GravesAP Sports Writer PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison didn’t want to wait for the NFL to do something about protecting his head, so the four-time Pro Bowler decided to do it himself. After enduring what he estimated as “double digit” bouts with concussion-like symptoms throughout his decade-long career, Harrison began using a special layer of padding inside his helmet last fall and is pleased with the results.“I haven’t seen any spots or had any blackouts,” Harrison said Tuesday.Harrison was the first NFL player to use the CRT padding developed by Unequal Technologies inside his helmet. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick began using a flak jacket lined with military-grade Kevlar during the 2010 season, but Harrison was the first player to put the quarter-inch padding in his helmet.He’s been joined around 100 players over the last 12 months and feels the extra weight (about 3-4 ounces) is worth the feeling of safety it provides.“To protect my head I’d take a pound more,” Harrison said.The outspoken 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year believes the movement could catch on. One of the NFL’s fiercest hitters, Harrison says he played through concussion-like symptoms in the past but as he’s aged has become more wary of the long-lasting impact repeated head shots can have on a player’s future health.“If something works, I’m going to use it,” he said.The green padding uses material developed to protect combat military personnel. The padding square packs that can be cut into different shapes then stuck inside helmets from various sports, including hockey and baseball.Harrison became aware of the product while looking for a little extra protection after fracturing his right orbital bone last season. Pittsburgh backup quarterback Charlie Batch, a member of the NFL Players Association’s executive council, introduced CRT to player representatives from around the league, which quickly helped expand usage.Unequal Technologies president Robert Vito said the product doesn’t claim to prevent concussions but that anecdotal evidence from players from all levels seem to indicate the material can help minimize the recurrence of concussions.Harrison noted the NFL has gone to great lengths to address concussions and hand out “crazy fines” to players who make illegal hits but haven’t taken aggressive action in trying to update the equipment.“The league is mandating next year that we wear thigh and knee pads,” Harrison said. “I don’t know how many people’s career has been ended on a thigh or knee bruise. We have guys now that are 30, 31 years old that are having to quit the game because they have severe headaches … I think you should be focusing more on (the helmet) than knee or thigh pads.”(Online: http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL) HIGH-FIVES–Steelers linebacker James Harrison (92) high fives fans as he heads to the locker room aftergame against the Philadelphia Eagles on Oct. 7, in Pittsburgh..(AP Photo/Don Wright)