to go further MadagascarAfrica Organisation April 30, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders hails the conditional release on 8 September of the 10 Radio Fahazavana employees who have been in pre-trial detention since 27 May, even if they still have to face trial on a charge of inciting a revolt, but condemns a government decision to suspend the broadcasts of another radio station, Radio Mahafaly, until further notice.“We are relieved to learn that the Radio Fahazavana employees are free and have been reunited with their families,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The formal judicial investigation is finally due to begin this month and we reiterate our call for a fair trial that is not subject to political pressure.”The press freedom organisation added: “We deplore the fact that political tension between the members of the transitional government and the leaders of the opposition continues to impact the media. The suspension of the Radio Mahafaly, an opposition station, is a flagrant example of this.” News Receive email alerts MadagascarAfrica RSF_en Reports April 16, 2020 Find out more Madagascar : Sabotage silences TV channel that criticized coronavirus measures Help by sharing this information September 10, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Radio Fahazavana personnel freed, but another opposition radio station suspended RSF urges Madagascar to let journalists cover Covid-19 freely News Follow the news on Madagascar November 27, 2020 Find out more News The 10 Radio Fahazavana employees who have just been released are editor-in-chief Josiane Ranaivo, five of the station’s other journalists (Lolo Ratsimba, Jaona Raôly, Tiana Maharavo, Philémon Raveloarison and Tiburce Soavinarivo), two technicians and two security guards (Read the interview in French with Josiane Raniavo ).They were arrested by soldiers on the evening of 20 May for allegedly encouraging a mutiny earlier that day by gendarmes at Fort-Duchesne, and were transferred to the capital’s Antanimora prison on 27 May on charges of inciting a revolt and rebellion. Read the previous press release .The same day that they were released, officials announced that the broadcasts of Radio Mahafaly, a station based in the central city of Antsirabé, were being suspended “until further notice.” A communication ministry delegation accompanied by police went to the station to enforce the measure. No equipment was seized and the station’s journalists are not been denied access to its premises, but they are not allowed to broadcast.The station’s staff said they did not know the reason for the suspension order. “All our papers are in order,” station manager Mamy Andrianjafisolo told Reporters Without Borders. “After a trial period in 2009, we obtained a proper licence in May of this year,” he said, adding that he suspected the suspension was politically motivated. The station is owned by the municipality of Antsirabé, whose mayor, Olga Ramalason, supports deposed President Marc Ravalomanana.Radio stations have also been the target of physical attacks. Radio Soatalily, the local offshoot of Radio Nationale Malgache (RNM) in the southwestern city of Tuléar, was ransacked on 27 August by anti-government activists protesting against the lack of opposition representatives in the state-owned media. During an attack on Radio Varatraza, the RNM offshoot in the northern city of Antsiranana, on 7 September, at attempt was made to burn down its transmitter but it sustained only partial damage.“With a national conference on a solution to the crisis due to start on 13 September, we urge all the various political movements to respect media freedom,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge the current government to respect diversity of opinions and we urge the opposition to control its activists so that acts of vandalism do not recur.” The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa
RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Road works on Main Street, Patrickswell.by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Road works on Main Street, Patrickswell.THE main street in Patrickswell has become a cause for concern and anger amongst locals, according to City West councillor Daniel Butler.The Fine Gael politician described the current condition as an “absolute disgrace” and says the people of Patrickswell feel abandoned by Limerick City and County Council.Recent works on the Main Street undertaken by contractors for Irish Water has made the situation worse.“This is a village that has been completely bypassed by the council. The main street is in the condition of something you expect up a country lane,” Cllr Butler commented.“We were allocated €90,000 but that now has been taken from us. The level of investment required now is much more and as we head into the winter.”Patrickswell has been earmarked for inclusion in the Urban Renewal Scheme, which will see investment in the local infrastructure.Cllr Daniel Butler in Patrickswell“I have been told that works on the main street will not now commence until the Urban Renewal Scheme begins. This could be over a year and what condition will the road be in at that stage?”, he asked.“The council have called back in the contractors from Irish Water to redo the work on the main street which should improve things slightly,” he said.In response, a spokesman for Limerick City and County Council said that the works ongoing in Patrickswell are unrelated to the proposed Patrickswell Village Renewal Scheme.“Consultants have been appointed in recent days to prepare a design for the Patrickswell Village Renewal Scheme. It is anticipated that a Part 8 Planning Application will be submitted in early Spring.“The project will only commence following public consultation and Council discussions and it is subject to funding being made available from Government,” the spokesman explained. Advertisement Previous articleNew report highlights the poor health of Limerick’s homelessNext articleVacant houses in Limerick should be put to ‘productive use’ Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads WhatsApp Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live NewsLocal NewsLimerick Council executives have abandoned PatrickswellBy Alan Jacques – October 1, 2015 1077 Twitter Email Print Linkedin TAGSCllr Daniel ButlerFine GaellimerickLimerick City and County CouncilpatrickswellUrban Renewal Scheme Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Facebook Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
First Security Bank has hired Kevin Martin as Vice President – Commercial Banker at the Green River Road banking center in Evansville, Indiana. Martin comes to First Security with more than 25 years of experience in the banking industry. He has held various leadership positions including: Vice President – Market Manager; Vice President – Commercial Relationship Manager; and Senior Vice President – Commercial Lending.“Kevin’s depth of knowledge of commercial and industrial lending, and his ability to match that industry knowledge to the right financial solution is a win-win for all our current customers, as well as new small business and commercial relationships he will build,” said Scott Powell, EVP – Chief Credit Officer.A graduate of Southern Illinois University and Indiana Wesleyan University, Martin earned a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Agriculture Economics and a Master’s degree in Business Administration.About First Security Bank:First Security Bank is a $570 million asset bank with 11 banking centers in Owensboro, Bowling Green, Franklin and Lexington, Kentucky, as well as Evansville and Newburgh, Indiana. With more than 140employees, in its four markets and corporate office, First Security Bank has differentiated itself from larger competitors with its focus on relationship banking and the ability to make credit and other business decisions locally.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
Gazette: Is Harvard going to think differently about the way it approaches capital planning going forward?Lapp: Yes. In fact, the idea of unifying a University-wide capital plan holds opportunity for not only the University as a whole, but for each of its individual Schools, as we think about coherent campus development. It also represents an opportunity for Allston, in that Allston planning going forward will be fully integrated into University planning, keeping in mind not only our programmatic needs, but our holdings in Longwood, Allston, and Cambridge. This is an opportunity for us to think about our campus in holistic and strategic ways. In a letter to the Allston community sent earlier today, Harvard President Drew Faust outlined the University’s path forward for its presence in Allston. Harvard will, as has been anticipated, pause construction of the Allston Science Complex at the end of the current construction phase in roughly four months, and will approach its next steps in Allston in three stages: property stewardship and community engagement; greening and planning; and, as resources allow, campus development. Faust also announced co-chairs of a new faculty-led work team that will consider strategies and opportunities for development in Allston, under the direction of Executive Vice President Katherine Lapp. The Gazette sat down with Lapp to learn more about what’s on the drawing boards: Gazette: What’s happening with the Allston Science Complex?Lapp: Last February, President Faust indicated that we were slowing down construction on the Allston Science Complex site to assess what options we might have, given the turmoil in the financial markets, and the University’s near-term space needs. The Harvard Corporation voted Monday [Dec. 7] to pause construction at the end of the current phase, and to pursue later phases after we’ve gotten advice on possible alternative approaches to completion, and perhaps changes to the current design. We expect to take the next year to look at possible opportunities, including co-development with private partners or other institutional partners that may make sense for that site, as well as for other Allston sites that Harvard owns.Gazette: What do you mean by “pausing” construction?Lapp: Right now, we’re at basically 93 percent completion of a ground-level structure. We’ve invested more than 8,000 tons of structural steel in the foundation, which encompasses several below-grade unfinished spaces meant for laboratory support, as well as power generation and underground parking. This first phase of the Science Complex will be completed in March. This is a natural point at which to pause the project. This delay gives us an opportunity, prior to pursuing the next phase, to make sure we understand the University’s current needs for space. It also allows us to consider creative opportunities for how we might pursue that space with others through co-development.President Faust has established a work team, co-chaired by three members of our faculty with expertise in business strategy, planning, and public policy, to assess our plans in Allston. The next phase of construction will begin only after the working group completes its review.Gazette: Can you explain what you mean by co-development?Lapp: The work team, which in addition to the chairs will include about 10 to 12 additional members from the University community, will study what other universities have done across the nation, and perhaps throughout the world, in partnering with industry, philanthropic foundations, hospitals, or similar institutions to determine whether or not we might learn from those experiences and adopt proven strategies for campus development in Allston.Gazette: What does this pause mean for science at Harvard?Lapp: Science at Harvard continues to grow, based on our faculty’s ability to compete for federal grants, in part from private philanthropy, and in part from the recruitment of new faculty in fields like stem cell science. We are continuing to build out space in Boston and Cambridge to accommodate our growth in the sciences. We are developing space in both Boston and Cambridge to accommodate, at least for the near term, those departments and those activities that were going to be housed in the Allston Science Complex.Gazette: What does this mean for Harvard’s future development in the long term?Lapp: We remain fully committed to Allston and to campus development in Allston. One thing I have been very impressed by in my short time at Harvard is the variety of programs and the level of commitment to the Allston community. For example, we opened the Harvard Allston Education Portal in 2008, where — under the direction of Rob Lue, professor of molecular and cellular biology and director of Life Sciences Education — our students partner with youth in Allston and Brighton. More than 100 local students are enrolled in that program, while more than 800 community residents have become Ed Portal members in order to benefit from lectures, workshops, and other opportunities. We also do a lot of work force training. We’ve engaged more than 50 members of the community in providing computer skill training and job training.We are also undertaking construction of the roughly $3.5 million Library Park next to the Honan-Allston Library, and we are continuing to improve the landscape in Allston. We’ve already planted more than 150 trees along Western Avenue. We’ve designed bike lanes on North Harvard Street. We sponsored the Harvard Allston Farmers’ Market.We also will continue to fund local organizations through the five-year Harvard-Allston Partnership Fund, an initiative through which we give out roughly $100,000 in grants each year to support community-based activities and groups.The pace of growth may be slower than previously anticipated. But, nonetheless, we are committed to Allston.Gazette: Can you tell us a little bit more about what this site is going to look like in the immediate future?Lapp: The building is already at ground level. There is a fairly large fence around the site right now. We will be working with the city of Boston, the fire department, and the Inspectional Services Department on issues like aesthetics, safety, and landscaping, and we’ll also discuss those issues with the community.Gazette: What does this pause mean for the institutional master planning process?Lapp: The institutional master planning process will be a guidepost for the working group. We expect there to be some modifications going forward, and we expect to file an updated plan by the end of 2012.Gazette: How will the new working group engage with the community? And how will Harvard continue to engage with its neighbors in Allston in general? Lapp: We’ll continue our ongoing dialogue with the community throughout the next phase of this process. The work team will gather much input from colleagues from other institutions, from the city of Boston, and our neighbors in Allston.In the immediate future, we are focused on the stewardship of the properties that we own in Allston.We already have many leases for our buildings. We have, in the last 10 months alone, signed six new leases that fill 50,000 square feet. We also recently signed a couple of movie studios to short-term leases on some of our properties. We have also supported the expansion of Mahoney’s Garden Center into its new property along Western Avenue. So we’ve been working very closely in the community trying to make sure that we’re addressing its concerns.Nonetheless, there are some properties that we have held over the last few years, expecting to use them as construction support. Going forward, we will bring many of those buildings — totaling roughly 100,000 square feet — into our real estate portfolio and actively pursue leases for them.Our primary focus in the short term will be to lease some visible, strategically placed properties. We want to continue to enhance the vitality of Allston, bring people into Allston, and create the type of activity that we know the community would like to see.We will also be engaging in a lot of our greening, as I call it, activities. For example, Library Park will be finished at the end of next year.Gazette: When work on the Allston Science Complex site moves forward, will the development look the same as has been proposed? Lapp: It would be premature for me to say exactly what will go on that site, what it will look like, and how that compares with what earlier designs envisioned. That’s part of what the new work team will help us think through.Gazette: Have you given any thought to some of the many suggestions that have been offered about how to use Harvard’s land in Allston? Lapp: The work team will consider a full range of options. We intend to reach out to people who have ideas and see what matches with the academic aspirations of Harvard, and obviously what is consistent with the needs of the community and the city.