Request an accessible format. R132018_180828_Pelaw SummaryAt around 10:46 hrs on 21 February 2018, two track workers narrowly avoided being struck by a Tyne and Wear Metro train at Pelaw North Junction. The train was travelling at around 65km/h at the time. The track workers managed to move clear of the train two seconds before the train passed them. Neither was injured.The incident occurred because the track workers were unaware of the train approaching on the line which they were on. A second train, on an adjacent line, had blocked their view of the approaching train. Although two trains passing each other in such a manner is a regular event at Pelaw North Junction, the system of work which had been set up by the track workers did not take the blocking of a lookout’s view of one train by another into account. The RAIB found that Nexus Rail’s procedures did not assist with the creation of an effective safe system of work. Additionally, there was a non-compliance with the rule book relating to the lookout not providing a warning when the sighting of trains became obscured.RecommendationsAs a result of its investigation, the RAIB has made five recommendations to Nexus Rail. These cover: If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need aversion of this document in a more accessible format, please email [email protected] tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use. The sole purpose of RAIB investigations is to prevent future accidents and incidents and improve railway safety. RAIB does not establish blame, liability or carry out prosecutions. RAIB operates, as far as possible, in an open and transparent manner. While our investigations are completely independent of the railway industry, we do maintain close liaison with railway companies and if we discover matters that may affect the safety of the railway, we make sure that information about them is circulated to the right people as soon as possible, and certainly long before publication of our final report. For media enquiries, please call 01932 440015. This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. PDF, 6.21MB, 35 pages The RAIB has also identified three learning points. One is a reminder to all track workers on the Tyne and Wear Metro of the rule book requirement to stand in a position of safety when a train is passing on another line. The second reminds lookouts to constantly review their sighting of trains and provide a warning to track workers if sighting is lost for any reason. The third advises duty holders of the importance of reviewing the circumstances of near-miss incidents promptly, so that perishable evidence is secured and, where appropriate, the RAIB and ORR are notified in a timely manner.Notes to editors identifying locations on the Tyne and Wear Metro network where multiple lookouts are necessary to establish a safe system of work and providing this information to relevant staff improving the information available to track workers regarding hazards on the Tyne and Wear Metro network improving the quality of on-site risk assessments carried out supporting newly qualified safety critical track staff as they gain experience in making safe decisions clarifying and strengthening the process that Nexus Rail use to manage staff on prescription medication. Newsdate: 28 August 2018
See also: HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt said in an Oct 16 press release that the department is making steady progress toward safeguarding the nation’s food and medicine supplies, though more work remains. “In the past year, we’ve upgraded labs and equipment, hired additional staff, and begun implementing product safety agreements with key trading partners, including China,” he said. Officials from HHS are also working to complete memoranda of understanding with Belize, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Panama on product safety, according to the press release. Collaborations could include sharing of information on regulatory systems and joint training on food and medical product safety and foodborne illnesses. HHS said the first office will be located in China, where the department has already received formal approval from the government. The first staff will arrive at the FDA’s new office in Beijing this year. The FDA said it will place more staff members at offices in Shanghai and Guangzhou in 2009 and that it expects to place a total of eight US workers in its Chinese offices. Plans include opening the second overseas office in New Delhi, India, by the end of the year, with at least one additional office in the country in 2009 and a total FDA workforce of 10 employees, HHS said. The department is in negotiations with India to gain formal approval for the offices and staffing plan. In July HHS issued a progress report on import safety initiatives. HHS said in the press release that some of the action items in its plan are still awaiting new authorities from Congress, such as accrediting third-party labs to evaluate compliance with FDA requirements, allowing the agency to require certification of high-risk imports, refusing imports from firms that obstruct FDA access to their facilities, and mandating food recalls when voluntary steps aren’t effective. HHS projects that it will open more FDA offices in Europe and Latin America by the end of 2008 and a fifth office in the Middle East in early to mid-2009. Establishing the foreign FDA offices is a component of an Import Safety Plan that HHS unveiled in November 2007, prompted by a series of tainted imports including chemically contaminated pet food, toys with lead paint, and seafood containing traces of unauthorized drugs. Nov 6, 2007, CIDRAP News story “US food safety plan calls for FDA recall power” FDA personnel will work with local authorities and industries to provide technical advice, conduct additional inspections, and work with government agencies and private industry groups that are interested in developing certification programs, HHS said. Previously, federal officials depended on border inspections to identify unsafe food and drug products, an approach that it said has not kept pace with the brisk growth of global commerce, the agency said. Oct 16 HHS press release Oct 20, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Aiming to make imports safer, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will open four overseas offices by the end of the year, starting with China and followed by India, Europe, and Latin America, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced recently. Andrew C. von Eschenbach, FDA Commissioner, said in the statement that the overseas offices—part of the FDA’s Beyond our Borders initiative—would allow the agency to improve its oversight by having staff living and working in the countries year-round. July 2008 HHS import safety action plan update “Opening these offices will mark a key milestone in the globalization of our efforts to enhance the safety of imported food and medical products,” Leavitt said in the statement.