News News Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the arrests of many journalists in the past days in Belarus, as the authorities try by every possible means to stop them covering rallies in support of opposition candidates in the upcoming presidential election. The European Union must press the government to stop the harassment, RSF said.Several journalists had already been arrested since the start of the presidential election campaign but this is the first time that the police have targeted reporters who had valid accreditation.The victims included reporter Aliaxandr Pazniak and cameraman Siarhei Bahrou, who were beaten and handcuffed during their filmed arrest on 20 June in Hantsavichy, a town 180 km south of Minsk, where they were covering a demonstration for the local independent newspaper and website Hantsavichy Chas.Yesterday, Pazniak was fined 810 roubles (300 euros) for resisting the police and participating in an illegal demonstration, while Bahrou was sentenced to 15 days in prison. Siarzhuk Latsinsky, a freelancer based in the eastern city of Babruysk, was sentenced to 10 days in prison for participating in an illegal demonstration.More than 270 people, including at least 14 journalists, were arrested during rallies in Minsk and other cities on the evening of 19 June, the deadline for would-be candidates for the 9 August presidential election to collect the necessary signatures.The police targeted both freelancers and the representatives of independent and foreign media including Reuters, Radio Svaboda (RFE/RL’s Belarusian service), the Belarusian exile radio station Euroradio and the news sites Tut.by and Onliner.by. Mobile Internet was disconnected ahead of the rallies, obstructing journalists.“In response to this unprecedented show of support for opposition candidates, the authorities are trying to gag the media and keep suppressing all forms of pluralism, both political and journalistic,” said Jeanne Cavelier, the head of RSF’s Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk.“Noting that, on the eve of these arrests, EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Belarusian Prime Minister Roman Golovchenko participated in a summit meeting between the EU and six Eastern European partner countries, we urge Von der Leyen and the EU commissioner for neighbourhood, Olivér Várhelyi, to condition any negotiation with Minsk on an end to the harassment of journalists and the release of all those still held.”Ruled since 1994 by President Alexander Lukashenko, who until now has been reelected in the first round every five years, Belarus is ranked 153rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” RSF_en Organisation Receive email alerts BelarusEurope – Central Asia Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImprisonedFreedom of expressionExiled mediaJudicial harassmentViolence June 23, 2020 RSF calls for EU pressure after wave of arrests of journalists in Belarus “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says May 28, 2021 Find out more May 27, 2021 Find out more Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown Follow the news on Belarus to go further News Plainclothed Belarus’ security service agents detain cameraman of Radio Svaboda, in Minsk, on June 19, 2020. Credit: Sergei GAPON / AFP. News BelarusEurope – Central Asia Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImprisonedFreedom of expressionExiled mediaJudicial harassmentViolence June 2, 2021 Find out more
Email WhatsApp WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads LifestyleEntertainmentLimerickNewsThe Cranberries are looking to break a record and need your helpBy Meghann Scully – October 15, 2019 467 Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Linkedin Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Facebook Previous article‘Let’s Think About Consumption’ exhibition marks National Reuse MonthNext articleStrong lineup of one-off events at I.NY festival this weekend Meghann Scully THE Cranberries are trying to become the first Irish band to reach one billion views on the smash hit Zombie.The Limerick band took to social media asking for the public to help the song reach the milestone.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The song was released in 1994 on the album No Need To Argue.All you have to is hit play and watch the song in full for it to register as a view. Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Twitter Advertisement Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash TAGSDolores O’RiordanKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick PostmusicThe CranberriesZombieZombietoaBillion
Notre Dame is planning to host two events to celebrate ecumenism and the relationships between Christians of different traditions, according to a Monday press release. “Notre Dame’s commitment to ecumenism is an essential dimension of our character as a Catholic university,” Fr. Gerry Olinger, vice president for mission engagement and church affairs, said in the release. “We share in Jesus’ prayer for unity, and we seek to build a culture of encounter which leads to greater understanding, collaboration and love. Notre Dame strongly agrees with Pope Francis when he says that ecumenism is not optional.”The first event, scheduled for March 26 at 7:30 p.m. in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, is an ecumenical prayer service featuring co-presiders of different Christian faiths and a performance from the Notre Dame Liturgical Choir. Guests will include Rev. Chris Ferguson, general secretary for the World Communion of Reformed Churches, Rev. Josiah Idowu-Fearon, secretary general for the Anglican Communion, Rev. Martin Junge, general secretary for the Lutheran World Federation, Cardinal Kurt Koch, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity and Rev. J.C. Park, president of the World Methodist Council. The second event is a lecture titled “From Conflict to Communion: The Future of Christians Together in the World” and will take place Thursday, March 28 at 5 p.m. The panel will feature senior leaders from several different Christian denominations and will be moderated by Notre Dame assistant professor of theology Neil Arner. Both events are free and open to the public.A private ecumenical meeting will also take place on campus between Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist, Reformed and Catholic leaders. These five denominations have all identified themselves with the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justice, a document that asserts an understanding on the shared beliefs between different Christian religions. According to the release, the goal of the meeting is to “provide recommendations for how the Christian communities that have adopted the Joint Declaration can demonstrate deeper communion with each other.”Tags: Basilica of the Sacred Heart, christian faiths, ecumenism, joint declaration on the doctrine of justice
The CDC has officially released guidelines schools K-12 should follow in order to reopen in the fall.Keeping desk at least 6-feet apart (when possible)and in the same direction, sitting students on the same side of tables but six feet apart, installing sneeze guards and barriers in areas social distancing is not available, and mask for all staff members and students over the age of 2-years-old are just some of the regulations schools are expected to put in place.The CDC also recommends that a staff nurse be designated as the point person to deal with COVID-19 concerns.While some schools have opted to reopen their doors to students and staff, other schools have decided to continue with virtual education for the time being.To see the full list of recommendations from the CDC , click here.
The Trinity Western University Spartans snapped a historic British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL) streak on Friday night, scoring a 6-1 victory over the Selkirk College Saints to secure the semi-final series sweep.The Saints entered the BCIHL post-season with four straight championship titles and looking to complete a fifth.The Spartans put a kink in the plan Thursday night when they opened the series with a 4-1 win at Langley’s George Preston Recreation Centre and followed it up with the series clincher the next night.“Obviously everyone involved is disappointed in the outcome,” says Saints head coach Brent Heaven.“Expectations were very high this year and we were hoping to pull off the fifth straight championship. With all the adversity we faced this year — losing players to injury and other issues — it just made it really difficult. We were hoping to peak at the right time, but we just couldn’t get the puck in the net and had a really tough time keeping it out of our net this last weekend.”On Friday night, Trinity Western got off to a fast start with three unanswered goals in the first period. Despite out-shooting the Spartans in the second and third period, the Saints could not mount a comeback.Rookie forward Jack Mills scored early in the third period that saw the Saints fire 18 shots at Trinity Western goaltender Silas Matthys.Needing a win to stay alive, the Saints managed 17 shots in the first period of Game Two, but still found themselves behind 1-0 after 20 minutes. Five minutes into the second period, Dane Feeney scored for the Saints to make the score 2-1. The Spartans responded with four straight goals, three of them on the powerplay, to secure the series win.“It’s humbling and upsetting,” Heaven says of the mood in the dressing room after the Game Two loss.“There are good chunk of guys in that room who will be graduating from the program and it’s an emotional time for those players. For some it is the end of their competitive hockey career and they have been playing hockey since they were four or five years old. They have spent a lot of their lives on the ice and being part of a team… for it to end abruptly like that, it’s going to take some time for that to set in.”After dominating the BCIHL over the previous four seasons, the Saints had a challenging 2016-2017 season. The biggest blow came early in the new year when prodigious scorer Dallas Calvin was lost with a season-ending injury.The Saints ended up finishing third in the regular season standings (14-9-0-1) and for the first time in five seasons did not host a semi-final series at the Castlegar & District Recreation Complex. “Every season is completely different, but nothing can ever be expected like this,” Heaven says of the adversity.“It was a tough year for us, but the guys really battled hard and there was a compete level that you take a lot of pride in. There’s a box that didn’t get checked off at the end of the year, and it’s something that we are going to re-focus on our energies on for the season coming up. But I’m proud of these guys, proud of the way they competed and handled themselves as men. The direction they are all moving in their personal lives is positive.”Players will now focus their energy on the final weeks of school and the coaching staff will continue the ongoing process of recruiting new student athletes to the program. With almost half of the team expected to graduate — including third-year forwards Ryan Edwards, Tyler Kerner, Alex Milligan, Mitch Rosko and Matt Martin — the emphasis will be on bolstering the offense.“We will continue to focus on building a strong program with character individuals,” says Heaven, who completed his second season as head coach.“We’ll take a look back at the season and see where it differed from years previous. We will see what we need to do to rectify those issues and bring in a competitive group for next year.”The BCIHL final will feature Trinity Western University and the University of Victoria, the latter pulling off the upset of first-place Simon Fraser University last weekend.Trinity Western University features Lucas Hildebrand and Stefan Gonzales, both former Saints who helped Selkirk College win championships.
Yesterday’s results Kevin Lamey’s first Red Stripe Premier League football game in over two years and his first for Waterhouse in over five years ended in a 0-0 draw against Boys’ Town at Barbican Complex yesterday. The striker, who is revered by the Waterhouse faithfuls, showed glimpses of his abilities despite looking a bit short on pace. However, coach Paul Young, who brought in the veteran to add experience and to guide the youngers, thought the 40-year-old was excellent on the day and voted him as his Man of the Match. “Lamey was brought in to add experience, and we know the notoriety of Lamey; he is a true finisher. He can offer some help as he holds the ball up well at the top of field and brings the midfielders into play, and he did that brilliantly. For a player who has not played 90 minutes for so long, he did extremely well. He was my Man of the Match today. But Lamey is here to help guide the youngsters, and when he can score, he will score,” Young insisted. In a hotly contested game, which saw Waterhouse being reduced to 10 men following a second yellow card to Rohan Amos on 56 minutes, both teams had great chances to score, with Peter Keyes getting the bulk of the chances for Boys’ Town and Kenroy Howell getting the better opportunities for Waterhouse. Keyes thought he had given Boys’ Town the lead after 15 minutes, but the goal was waved off for offside. The former Waterhouse player then had two other great chances in that first-half and another three in the second half, but he volleyed over with only the goalkeeper to beat in the 68th minute, and then headed against the post a minute later, with two of his better opportunities. Howell was equally threatening for Waterhouse as Boys’ Town found it difficult to track his runs from deep. He had three great chances in the first period, the best of which came on 45 minutes at the end of a solo run. But he muffed his effort with Lamey wide open. After the break, Howell remained Waterhouse’s biggest scoring option, and 15 minutes from the end, he was unfortunate to see his effort from six yards rebound off the bar and back into the arms of goalkeeper Mikhail Harrison. Sean Coleman and Jermaine ‘Tuffy’ Anderson, who came on as a late sub in the 75th minute, also came close for Waterhouse. The match ended on an ugly noted after Anderson was alleged to have elbowed Boys’ Town defender Xavier Virgo, rendering him temporarily unconscious and with a suspected fractured nose. Virgo was taken to hospital for treatment. Boys’ Town’s head coach, Andrew Price, said he would have to review the incident before commenting. However, he believes they had the better chances to win, even though they were missing five regular starters. “We had enough dominance to have won the game. We got a number of chances, and our forwards were not clinical in front of goal. Otherwise, we should have won by a wide margin,” he said. Boys’ Town stayed sixth with 26 points, while Waterhouse remained at the bottom on 16, two points behind Rivoli and three adrift of Tivoli. Boys’ Town 0 Waterhouse 0 Reno FC 1 UWI FC 3 Humble Lion 0 Cavalier SC 1 Arnett Gardens 2 MoBay United 1 Tivoli Gardens vs Rivoli United POSTPONED Today’s match 8:40 p.m. Harbour View vs Portmore United at Harbour View Stadium
Arranmore Island will come to a standstill today for the funeral of RNLI volunteer Lee Early.The 26-year-old drowned when his car went off the local Poolawaddy pier at 5am on Sunday morning last.Another man in his 30s managed to escape and swam to safety to raise the alarm. Lee will be laid to rest after noon mass at St Crone’s Church with burial afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.Members of the RNLI are expected to carry out a guard of honour at the church in memory of one of their own.An autopsy was held on Lee’s remains at Letterkenny University Hospital on Monday last.Lee’s remains were then escorted home by the Arranmore RNLI crew as they led two ferries that evening. Hundreds of people have traveled from across Donegal and further afield for Lee’s wake at his island home.A book of condolence has also been signed by hundreds of people at the Arranmore Community Centre.The local Arranmore Hostel also offered free accommodation to anybody attending the wake or funeral in recent days.A full Garda investigation into the circumstances surrounding the tragedy is underway.It is focusing on how the men’s car ended up in the freezing waters off the island. Lee is survived by his dad Jimmy, mum Noreen, brother Adam and sisters Rachel and Laura.Tragic Lee to be laid to rest on Arranmore today was last modified: November 22nd, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)