first_imgSulley Muntari can be selected to play for Ghana again, even if he decides not to apologize. And even then, he is not required to do so as a condition for his return, as the Ghana Football Association have always sworn he must.That’s according to the Government of Ghana’s White Paper released on Thursday following the 400-paged report of Justice Senyo Dzamefe-led Commission of Inquiry.The Milan player has been on an indefinite suspension since the infamous fiasco in Brazil where Ghana’s World Cup campaign degenerated into a farce. The player had been embroiled in fisticuffs with a Ghana FA official, Moses Armah.But according to the white paper, an apology from Sulley should be done on his volition and must not forced.It read: “Any apology from Mr. Sulley Muntari as recommended should be a voluntary act of contrition on his part but should not be made a condition for his recall into the team.” The Ghana FA has long promised that the only way the Milan man would be considered for selection was if he apologised to all stakeholders in the matter. In support, the World Cup Commission of Inquiry also recommended similar conditions as follows:– An unconditional apology to Mr. Moses Armah– An unconditional apology to the President of the Republic of Ghana, the Commission and to Ghanaians in general.– Referral to a psychologist for counseling and /or undergo anger therapySeveral chancesThis opens the way for the player to get back into the team, should he feel like it is needed, especially at a time when Sulley has been declared surplus to rquirements at Milan and is on his way out.He has had the chance to publicly apologize for the incidents in South America through the work of the 2014 World Cup Commission led by Justice Senyo Dzamefe. But all attempts to get his side of the story have proved futile.Speaking to the state-owned Graphic Sports newspaper last December, a member of the Commission, Moses Foh Amoaning, said his outfit had tried engaging Muntari via Skype, but the player had declined the request. saying he [Muntari] did not have access to the Skype facility. Foh Amoaning also said the Commission had spoken with Muntari’s father to persuade his son to co-operate – all to avail.Avram Grant’s view Should Muntari return soon, it will be Avram Grant who would have to work with the player.The Isaeli’s view on the matter is clear, having told the media at his unveiling that he was keen to talk to Muntari, Kevin-Prince Boateng (who is also on indefinite suspension), or any other Ghanaian player so long as the players accepted his tenets at all times.He said in December: “I think when you are going into a new situation you don’t need to look at the past. You need to look for a new beginning, but to see the good things and the bad things from the past and learn the things that we can do better.”But the Ghana FA, on their part, have stated on several platforms their openness to forgive the player, but only if he shows public remorse for his actions.Bring him back Veteran broadcaster Kwabena Yeboah has always wanted the controversial midfielder back in the Black Stars setup, arguing that it’s time for the experience of the 30-year old.”Sulley is one of the most consistent players we have hard in the past, and I think that if somebody deserves to play again Sulley should be considered,” Yeboah said in April.But his return, should it happen, would divide popular opinion as many feel the player’s famous temper remains a problem. Yeboah however feels that midfielder’s service to the country in the last decade must count for something. “He has never turned his back on the Black Stars. he has been loyal through thick and thin and I don’t see why he is still not in this team,” the broadcaster told Accra-based Happy FM. – Follow Gary on Twitter: @garyalsmithlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *