Singaporean man earlier suspected of COVID-19 buried in Batam

first_imgAry Ginanjar, a caretaker at the Sambau Public Cemetery in Batam, said he had received a letter from the Bhayangkara Police Hospital in Riau Islands asking the cemetery to dig a grave for AA’s burial on Wednesday evening — four days after AA’s death.He described the funeral ceremony as “quiet and secretive.” The Jakarta Post only confirmed the burial on Friday.“The funeral was attended by several police officers, AA’s wife and his two daughters,” Ary said.He added that AA had been buried in an Islamic way, as his family wanted him to be buried without a coffin. The funeral ceremony took about one hour. A Singaporean man who was suspected to have contracted the novel coronavirus that causes the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) but reportedly died of “another illness” has been buried in Batam, Riau Islands, after days of uncertainty regarding his funeral.The man, identified as 61-year-old AA, died at BP Batam Hospital, one of Indonesia’s referral hospitals for the virus, after showing symptoms similar to those of COVID-19, such as fever and shortness of breath. The Batam Health Agency, however, said he had died of “another illness” rather than COVID-19, because the patient’s test results for the virus had come back negative.Read also: ‘The test came back negative’: Singaporean with ‘coronavirus-like symptoms’ dies in Batam The cemetery caretaker went on to say that there was no special treatment during the burial: “It was just the usual thing. There was no request to wrap the body with plastic.”Read also: Singapore emerges as litmus test for coronavirus containmentBatam Health Agency head Didi Kusumajadi said AA had been buried in Batam instead of Singapore due to an administration issue preventing the body from being taken to his home country.“Singapore should not refuse their citizen. However, his family also requested for him to be buried here,” Didi told the Post on Friday.The agency head dismissed concerns that Singapore had refused to let AA’s body be buried there because of the suspected COVID-19 infection. “The Consulate of the Republic of Singapore in Batam has tried to facilitate AA’s return to Singapore before it was decided to have him buried in Batam.”The Singaporean consul general in Batam, Mark Low, declined to comment on the matter. (hol)Topics :last_img read more

University BEMs urge Nadiem to cut tuition during COVID-19 ‘study at home’ policy

first_imgThe letter invites Nadiem to a public meeting with student representatives to discuss the matter, and also calls on all universities to waive the UKT next semester for all students.“[The ministry should] instruct all higher education institutions to freeze tuition fees next semester due to COVID-19,” the association wrote, pointing out that the parents of most students had been affected financially as an impact of the pandemic.The BEM-SI added that all universities should support their students by providing free mobile data packages, supplies and medical assistance. It also urged the ministry to punish any institution that failed to provide students support during the health crisis.According to the BEM-SI’s survey on the issue, around 83 percent of student respondents said that their parents’ incomes had declined as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. Around 77 percent of respondents said they did not know whether they could pay next semester’s tuition. Read also: Challenges of home learning during a pandemic through the eyes of a studentThe survey also showed that around 92 percent students at universities nationwide spent a maximum Rp 50,000 (US$3.53) per week on mobile data to study at home.Furthermore, it found that students who were unable to return to their hometowns due to the COVID-19 social and travel restrictions needed food aid.Nadiem issued a circular on March 17 that instructed higher education institutions to help their students by providing mobile data packages, supplies and medical care. The BEM-SI claimed, however, that a number of institutions had yet to comply with the minister’s instructions.In a statement issued on Wednesday, higher education acting director general Nizam assured that neither universities nor colleges would increase their UKTs, stressing that any increases in the UKT had been decided prior to the pandemic.“Any decisions on the UKT should not create problems for students,” he added. (kuk)Topics : Students nationwide have written an open letter to urge Education and Culture Minister Nadiem Makarim to reduce the Single Tuition Fee (UKT) for university education, as they were studying at home amid the country’s COVID-19 outbreak.The National Association of University Student Executive Bodies (BEM-SI) posted the open letter dated May 27 on its Twitter account @aliansibem_si. last_img read more

Classy design for family in Rochedale South

first_imgPerfect for outdoor entertaining.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus19 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market19 hours ago“It was one of the last homes to be built in the street.Sitting on an elevated 1614sq m block, the property sits in front of a nature strip with the occasional koala even visiting the backyard.“It is mainly the little ones that come into the yard,” Mrs Ingram said. “We don’t know how they get in or get out but it is lovely when they visit.”The foyer of the home rises the full two storeys to give an immediate feeling of space that extends throughout the house. Suburbia close to nature.“We bought it from a couple that had lived there for about five years, and they were the original builders,” Mrs Ingram said. Outside 6 Willmott Court Rochedale SouthThe open-plan living area overlooks the backyard entertainment area and an inground pool.“I like to have that beautiful view of the pool with the green gardens,” Mrs Ingram said. All of the home’s four bedrooms are upstairs, which are all large enough to fit queen-sized beds. A few changes have been made to the home since Mrs Ingram moved in, including most of the flooring which is a mix of polished timber and tiles, as well as a new kitchen and renovated bathrooms. 6 Willmott Court Rochedale South is on the market now.With her children now off to university in Brisbane Mrs Ingram said her family was selling the home and moving closer to the city. She said the home would be perfect for a family that likes space as well as privacy. 6 Willmott Court is on the market now. 6 Willmott Court Rochedale SouthWHEN Jenny Ingram moved her family to Rochedale South from inner Brisbane 15 years ago, it was all about the education.She wanted to get her children into the catchment of the suburb’s well-regarded schools, but the liveability, and their new home ended up being a huge bonus.The family moved into a four-bedroom, double-storey home at 6 Willmott Court, which was one of the newer homes in the area.last_img read more

Hedge funds deliver more than one-quarter of Dutch scheme’s return

first_imgProvisum, the €1.4bn pension fund for retail company C&A, has said its sizeable hedge-fund allocation accounted for more than 1.5 percentage points of its 6.3% overall return for 2015. According to its annual report, Provisum’s 14.8% hedge-fund allocation returned 15.3% over the period, outperforming its benchmark by 5.6 percentage points.The scheme, one of the few in the Netherlands to enjoy a strong funding position, attributed the result largely to the appreciation of the US dollar against the euro.It also cited the impact of its hedged-equity, event-driven and relative-value strategies, and particularly to its “exposure to Asia and volatility”. Provisum, which outsources asset management to Anthos Fund and Asset Management, said its real estate holdings returned 11.5%, with indirect real estate delivering more than 20%.It cited a revaluation of non-listed property investments, with the CBRE Retail Fund Belgium and France returning 42.3%.The pension fund’s 15% bond allocation, which returned 1.3%, outperformed its benchmark by 0.9 percentage points, due in part to positions in Spanish, Italian and Belgian government paper.The allocation produced an overall net return of 3.2%, after a 3-percentage-point loss caused by the appreciation of the US dollar against the euro.Provisum hedged 75% of the downward risk of the dollar, as well as the UK pound and the Japanese yen.C&A’s scheme strategically covered 50% of the interest on its liabilities through long-term German and Dutch government bonds, with a bandwidth of 40-60% for tactical adjustments.A relatively high coverage ratio of 124.6% at year-end enabled the pension fund to grant all of its participants a full indexation of 0.66%.The pension fund reported administration costs of €219 per participant and said it spent 0.87% and 0.03% on asset management and transactions, respectively.Provisum has 9,450 participants in total, of whom 3,385 are workers and 2,620 pensioners.last_img read more

Majority of Premier League players not ready to return – Willian

first_img Loading… Promoted Content9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your Body5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks8 Best 1980s High Tech GadgetsCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way18 Cities With Neverending Tourist-FlowWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time? Chelsea attacker, Willian believes the majority of Premier League player are “uncomfortable” with the idea of the competition resuming in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. “So right now, players don’t feel comfortable with the idea of returning until it’s totally safe to do so. “Our squad has spoken a lot over the internet, via different apps, and we’ve had some meetings too. Lampard has sent us information about what the Premier League wants to do. “We still don’t know how things are going to play out, moving forward. Hopefully, we’ll know in the next few days. The Premier League is going to have a meeting and then they’ll inform us about the next steps.” read also:Campbell urges Arsenal to sign Willian, Fraser The likes of Sergio Aguero, Troy Deeney and Danny Rose have all questioned the Premier League’s plan to return on June 12 with Rose particularly critical. Watford manager Nigel Pearson has also voiced his concerns about a possible restart, claiming the competition could be underestimating the virus. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Football in England was suspended in March with the top-flight currently targetting a return in mid-June. The United Kingdom has been hit particularly hard by Covid-19 with 240,000 confirmed cases and over 34,000 deaths to date. While the Bundesliga resumed behind closed doors this weekend, Willian has stressed player safety must come first when it comes to the Premier League possibly restarting. “Honestly, from what I can see, a lot of players – the majority, I’d say – are uncomfortable with the idea of returning right now,” Willian was quoted by the Evening Standard. “We’re really keen to return, we really miss playing and doing what we love. But it needs to be safe for us to do so. That’s how we’re looking at it. Our health has to come first.Advertisementlast_img read more

IMCA Speedweek sees first repeat winner as Marriott repeats at Night of 10,000 Stars

first_imgHunter Marriott earned $8,000 on Friday when he repeated as winner of the Night of 10,000 Stars fea­ture for IMCA Modifieds at Hancock County Speedway. (Photo by Chad Meyer)BRITT, Iowa (Aug. 11) – Hunter Marriott became the first repeat winner of IMCA Speedweek when he repeated as the Night of 10,000 Stars winner Friday at Hancock County Speedway.Marriott led all but the first lap, earning $7,000 for the IMCA Modified feature victory along with a $1,000 bonus for leading at halfway in the 50-lap main event.Tad Reutzel drew the pole start and was scored first on the opening circuit; the sixth-starting Mar­riott made the best use of the lower line, had the lead the next time around and stayed in front to the finish.Richie Gustin raced from 13th starting to finish second while hard charger Ryan Ruter passed 21 cars and ended in third.Rounding out the top five were Joel Rust, who had started 22nd, and Ethan Dotson.Marriott, runner-up at Thursday’s Night of 1,000 Stars at Britt, had raced his way onto the 2018 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot by winning Monday’s Arnold Motor Supply Hawkeye Dirt Tour feature at Clay County Fair Speedway.Randy Brands was the $750 IMCA Sunoco Stock Car feature winner Friday while Cody Nielsen and Johnathon Logue both earned $500 for IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stock and Karl Chevrolet North­ern SportMod victories, respectively.IMCA Speedweek concludes with Saturday’s Shryock Memorial All Star Night at Hancock County. That event will be broadcast by IMCATV.Feature results – 1. Hunter Marriott, Brookfield, Mo.; 2. Richie Gustin, Gilman; 3. Ryan Ruter, Clear Lake; 4. Joel Rust, Grundy Center; 5. Ethan Dotson, Bakersfield, Calif.; 6. Kelly Shryock, Fertile; 7. Corey Dripps, Reinbeck; 8. Benji LaCrosse, Green Bay, Wis.; 9. Mike Mullen, Suamico, Wis.; 10. Jeremy Mills, Garner; 11. Mike Mashl, DePere, Wis.; 12. Tad Reutzel, Burt; 13. Kyle Strickler, Mooresville, N.C.; 14. Brian Mullen, Seymour, Wis.; 15. Clay Money, Penokee, Kan.; 16. Jay Noteboom, Hinton; 17. Ricky Stephan, South Sioux City, Neb.; 18. Mark Noble, Blooming Prai­rie, Minn.; 19. Kody Scholpp, Estevan, Sask.; 20. Stacey Mills, Webb; 21. Mark Joski, Den­mark, Wis.; 22. David Brown, Kellogg; 23. Troy Swearingen, Thompson; 24. Ben Kraus, Britt; 25. Shane Swanson, Forest City; 26. Tim Ward, Harcourt; 27. Billy Kendall, Baxter, Minn.; 28. Paul Stone, Winton, Calif.; 29. Josh Ruby, Lakota; 30. Cody Knecht, Whittemore.last_img read more

Felicia Marie Phillips February 13, 1979 – May 14, 2020

first_imgFelicia Marie Phillips, age 41 of Cleves, Ohio passed away Thursday, May 14, 2020 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Daughter of Ronnie Burton and Ilene (Phillips) Krum.Felicia is survived by her children Savanna Marie Phillips and Mason Stephen Strader, beloved daughter of Ilene Krum. Sister of Gary Phillips, Donnie (Rosie) Burton and Eric Phillips. Also survived by her significant other Charles V. Warren.Preceded in death by her father Ronnie Burton.Visitation will be held Thursday, May 21, 2020 from 6:00 P.M. until time of funeral services at 8:00 P.M. all at Jackman Hensley Funeral Home 215 Broadway Street Harrison, Ohio 45030.Memorials may be directed to her children c/o the funeral home.last_img

PSG exit: Neymar considers legal option

first_imgRelatedPosts Neymar bags two-match ban Neymar risks seven-game ban, Gonzalez 10 Neymar, four others sent off as Marseille grab rare win at PSG Neymar’s lawyers may have found a way to force through a Paris Saint-Germain exit next summer, according to a report. The Brazilian has been desperate to leave the Parc des Princes and return to former club Barcelona, with Real Madrid having also shown an interest. According to Mundo Deportivo, the 27-year-old could invoke Article 17 of the Fifa regulations on the Statute and Transfer of Players. The clause enables a player to terminate their contract after three years’ service if they are under 28-years-old. PSG would be due compensation if Article 17 was to be triggered, which Neymar’s lawyers have predicted to be around £154m. The player will have 15 days after the last official match of the season to formally notify the Ligue 1 champions of his intention to trigger Article 17. The loophole has been used before, when Heart of Midlothian defender Andy Webster forced through a move to Wigan in 2008.Tags: Legal optionMundo DeportivoNeymarParc des PrincesParis Saint-Germainlast_img read more

Indian Premier League Chennai Super Kings’ star sensation pulls out of IPL

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Indian Premier League News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Willey said that the decision taken by him hasn’t been an easy one but correct seeing the hour requirement. “It’s never an easy decision. But, nonetheless, it’s the right decision,” he added.”I need to put my family first at the minute, and cricket’s secondary to that. We’ll get that sorted and then I can concentrate on cricket.”Willey did not feature in any of England’s recent one-day series against the West Indies, but is still hopeful he can play in this summer’s World Cup.”Over the last 18 months to two years, it’s shown when I’m playing regular cricket I play my best cricket,” he concluded. David Willey pulls off of the IPL 2019. Willey has only featured in three IPL games, which came in 2018. Chennai Super Kings has won two consecutive games in this edition.  New Delhi: England speedster David Willey, who has been in prime form from quite some time now has pulled off of the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) sighting family reasons. Supposedly, his wife is supposed to give birth to child and Willey believes it is time to stay with her. “My wife’s had a bit of a tough time, so I’m having to make sure she’s alright,” Yorkshire’s Willey, who had been set to join up with Chennai Super Kings, told the club website.He came into the side as a replacement in the year 2018 and featured in only three games. With this, Willey further went on saying that the franchise has been kind enough to understand the reasons and even praised Yorkshire. “Chennai was very understanding and very supportive, as Yorkshire have been as well.” highlightslast_img read more