General Iliya Abba appointed as head of new Multi-National task force

first_imgBoko Haram militantsNigeria has named a general to lead the new multinational task force to fight militant Islamist group Boko Haram.Major General Iliya Abbah, who previously led operations against militants in the oil-rich Niger Delta, will head the force according to  Nigeria’s military spokesman Colonel Sani Usman Kukasheka.The Multi-National Joint Task Force, made up of 8,700 troops from Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, Niger and Benin, is expected to be more effective than a current alliance in the battle to end Boko Haram’s six-year insurgency, which has claimed some 15,000 lives.The announcement came as Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari was in Cameroon for talks on how to combat the escalating threat from Boko Haram, whose fighters have been waging an increasing number of murderous cross-border raids and suicide bombings.“We recognise that none of us can succeed alone,” he said at a state dinner in Yaounde on Wednesday, according to a presidency statement.“In order to win this war we need the collective efforts of each one of us, standing together as a formidable force for good, to defeat and end these acts of terror against our people.”A boosted force with 8,700 troops from Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria is expected to become fully operational at least by next week.The multinational troops fighting Boko Haram in West Africa will be able to pursue the militants across borders according to Nigeria’s presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu.He says there was now trust between those contributing troops since the election of President Muhammadu Buhari in May.Meanwhile, Chad said on Thursday its forces had killed 117 Boko Haram insurgents during a two-week military campaign aimed at clearing islands on Lake Chad used by the militants as hideouts and bases to launch attacks.Chad has deployed thousands of soldiers alongside troops from neighborsNigeria, Cameroon and Niger to tackle the militant group whose six-year insurgency has killed thousands. “We killed 117 Boko Haram fighters during the two-week operation.We lost two men and several wounded,” Colonel Azem Bermandoa, spokesman for the Chadian army, said.Chad’s parliament was to vote Thursday on a controversial anti-terror bill after a string of deadly Boko Haram attacks, raising fears among opponents and rights activists that the law may be used to curtail freedoms.last_img read more

O’Brien keen to make most of recall

first_img The 27-year-old West Ham defender has just five senior caps to his name with a combination of injuries and former Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni’s decision to ignore him for long periods having limited his involvement. However, he has a seat on the plane for Wednesday afternoon’s flight to Cologne and with interim boss Noel King’s defensive options stretched for Friday’s daunting World Cup qualifier against Germany by suspensions to Richard Dunne and John O’Shea – the pair will be available for Kazakhstan’s visit to Dublin on Tuesday – he could be required. Press Association Joey O’Brien is desperate to make up for lost time after winning a return to the Ireland squad. “I have been playing, last year in the Premier League and the year before that in a good Championship team. “But it’s up to the manager. He has his own ideas on players and what he wants and how the players fit the system he wants to play. “It’s a different way of football, international football, to club football, so we will just see what happens.” Ireland will land in Germany knowing they cannot realistically make it to Brazil next summer, but determined to do all they can to avenge their 6-1 humbling by the Group C leaders at the Aviva Stadium in October last year. O’Brien was not part of that squad, but he has been left in little doubt as to what the aim is for the return fixture. He said: “There’s a feeling after the last game and how it went to put it right. That’s the aim. “We are not going over there thinking we are just going to be beaten and it’s over, we are going over to get a result and hopefully, we can.” That would bring an end to a frustrating period in O’Brien’s international career, although he remains philosophical about the situation. He said: “Look, I was injured for a couple of years really and the manager had come in and maybe had his players and had his ideas of a team, so when I came back and I was playing, he wasn’t really putting me in the squads. “But that time has gone now. It’s a new manager, so it’s just looking forward and hopefully I can feature somehow in the next two games.” O’Brien’s chances may not have been helped by comments he reportedly made over Trapattoni’s treatment of him, and while he admits he spoke “too openly” to a journalist, he insists that suggestions playing for Ireland meant nothing to him could not have been further from the truth. He said: “I learned a really hard lesson then. It hurt me a little bit. Then I was injured for so long, so I couldn’t really put it right. “But look, it’s gone now, it’s in the past and I am here now, so hopefully I can play in the next two games.” O’Brien’s club form will do him little harm as he attempts to force his way into King’s thoughts, although he accepts that it is only what he does on the training pitch this week that will dictate that. He said: “Hopefully I can train well and impress the manager and hopefully, I might get a shout. last_img read more

Tipp to face Galway in Hastings Cup

first_imgVictory for Tipperary’s Under 21 Footballers against Galway this evening would see them through to the semi-finals of the Hastings Cup.The sides meet in Portumna at 7.45 after the game was postponed twice already due to poor weather conditions.Tipp manager Tommy Toomey has used the Hastings Cup to build his squad ahead of the under 21 Munster Championship.last_img

NBA trade rumors: Rockets offering first-round pick to Grizzlies to get rid of Brandon Knight and his contract

first_imgThe Rockets have had trade discussions with the Grizzlies on a potential trade involving Brandon Knight, according to league sources. Houston has been offering a first-round pick to get rid of Knight’s contract.— Kevin O’Connor (@KevinOConnorNBA) February 2, 2019It is unclear who Houston would get back from the Grizzlies in a deal.Knight has more than $20 million left on the five-year, $70 million deal he signed with the Suns in 2015. He is due $15.6 million in 2019-20. Houston is $29 million over the salary cap and more than $7 million over the luxury tax.Knight has been limited to 12 games this season. He is averaging 3.0 points per game along with less than an assist and a rebound.The 27-year-old has fallen off since tearing his ACL in 2017. He has been limited to 12 games over the last two years after getting hurt. The Rockets really want to get rid of Brandon Knight’s contract.Houston has had trade discussions with the Grizzlies to move Knight to Memphis, and the team is offering a first-round pick to move him, according to a report from The Ringer, which cites unidentified league sources. NBA trade rumors: Anthony Davis denies he’s requested move to Lakerscenter_img NBA trade rumors: 76ers open to trade offers for Markelle Fultz, report says Related Newslast_img read more

Antonio Brown trolls Patriots fans after loss to Titans

first_imgWhat Could Of Been #YouChangedOnMe #LookAtMeNow #ABForPresidentA post shared by Boomin (@ab) on Jan 4, 2020 at 8:52pm PSTBROWN TIMELINE: What to know about accusation, lawsuitHe also tweeted out a “call me” message to Tom Brady, adding that next season, he “only want to play With @TomBrady or no play.”2020 Only Want To Play With @TomBrady Or No Play— AB (@AB84) January 5, 2020 The seven-time Pro Bowler made one appearance for the Patriots following his arrival from the Oakland Raiders, where he never played a game after being dealt by the Pittsburgh Steelers in March 2019.He has been without an NFL team since his release by New England in September amid allegations of sexual assault and rape.Brown visited the New Orleans Saints in December however, the 31-year-old wide receiver wants to reunite with Brady in Foxborough.MORE: Brady admits future with Patriots is unknownBrown then shared a video of Brady speaking to the media about his future, with the caption, “call me.” Call Me 🤙🏾 https://t.co/gGNfFfJl4p— AB (@AB84) January 5, 2020DeCOURCY: Sanctions will keep Pats from receiving universal acclaim after dynasty ends”I’m still the best in the game hated or love it ask your daddy,” Brown added.Brown caught four passes for 56 yards and a touchdown in his lone appearance for the Patriots against the Miami Dolphins. Antonio Brown trolled the Patriots and said he only wants to play with Tom Brady in 2020.Following Saturday’s loss to the Titans, the wide receiver shared a picture of himself hugging Bill Belichick, along with the caption: “What Could Of Been #YouChangedOnMe, #LookAtMeNow, #ABForPresident.”center_img View this post on Instagramlast_img read more