Confident Scorpions leave for WICB Super50

first_imgA confident Jamaica Scorpions squad left the island yesterday to compete in the WICB Super50 tournament.”This is one of our better teams in years, and, as such, I am really looking forward to us going there and representing ourselves,” said captain Nikita Miller.”It’s a lovely balance with several players having West Indies experience.”The Robert Samuels coached-unit, which numbers 14, is without top batsmen Chris Gayle, due to injury, and Marlon Samuels, who has been drafted by the Leeward Islands Hurricanes.However, in fast bowler Jerome Taylor, batsman Jermaine Blackwood and wicketkeeper Chadwick Walton, they have players who have played at the highest level for the West Indies.”I like our chances, as, although we have been drawn in a fairly competitive zone, I believe we have the players to pull us through,” said Samuels.The Scorpions are due to participate in Zone B of the tournament. The zone will be contested in Barbados and also features last year’s beaten finalists Barbados Pride, Guyana Jaguars, Combined Campuses Marooners and guest team, ICC Americas.Jamaica will open their campaign on Tuesday against the Marooners at 3 W’s Oval, Cave Hill Campus.Jamaica Scorpions: Nikita Miller (captain), Jermaine Blackwood, Gavon Brown, John Campbell, Andre McCarthy, Damion Jacobs, Brandon King, Reynard Leveridge, Rovman Powell, Damani Sewell, Jerome Taylor, Steven Taylor, Devon Thomas, Chadwick Walton. Robert Samuels is head coach.last_img read more

Illegal dumpsite creates fire hazard at Industrial Site

first_imgAn illegal dumpsite at Industrial Site, Ruimveldt, Georgetown is one of many which have been created by establishments in recent times to get rid of large amounts of unwanted waste.This has caused significant unease among other business enterprises in the area; fearing that the flames can erupt into a disastrous event when unattended.A security guard attached to a nearby business explained that fires at the illegal dumpsite is a frequent occurrence and poses a threat to establishments, which can lose millions. He added that large boxes and unwanted supplies are burned by employees of some of the businesses in the area and in most cases, they are left to burn late into the evening.Another guard in the area stated that it is the most convenient way to dispose of the large garbage generation since the two solid waste collectors – Cevon’s Waste Management and Puran Brothers Disposal – are still not operating due to payment issues. Adding to that, the growing heap of refuse subtracts from the aesthetics of the location, another nearby establishment employee stated.Cevon’s Waste Management and Puran Brothers Disposal withdrew their services seven weeks ago from the Mayor and City Council (M&CC) after they were owed some $160 million.Meanwhile, last week this publication was told that the garbage contractors have resumed limited service in some parts of the city.Last year, Communities Minister, Ronald Bulkan met with the collectors and officials of City Hall, where a commitment was made for Central Government to bailout City Hall and pay the owed $160 million by the end of 2018. However, this commitment was not fulfilled.In November of 2017, $475 million was owed to contractors and Minister of State, Joseph Harmon announced that Government would assist the Council by offering some $300 million.Meanwhile, in 2016, the Georgetown Council found itself in that same position and subsequently voted to ask the Central Government for a $600 million “bailout” to pay creditors and meet expenses.At present, there has been a struggle to control the large generation of waste at markets and business hotspots with many resorting to empty land spaces to dump their waste. At the Stabroek Square, it continues to linger at parapets and bus zones.“It yielded what we believe to be credible assurances that settlement of the outstanding debt will commence very shortly.  Our understanding is that the first payment will be made before the end of 2018. We have, without prejudice, accepted those assurances,” the service providers jointly said shortly after they announced pulling their services.last_img read more

Vela scores farewell goal for Sociedad in Sevilla win

first_imgThe Mexican was given a standing ovation at Anoeta when he was introduced as a late substitute and the crowd got the ending they craved as Vela slotted home his 73rd goal for the club in stoppage time to seal Sociedad’s first win in seven games.Sociedad deservedly went in front when Inigo Martinez headed home Asier Illarramendi’s cross on 17 minutes.However, Wissam Ben Yedder brought Sevilla level just before half-time as his shot sneaked under Geronimo Rulli for the Frenchman’s 14th goal of the season.Sevilla were then having the better of the second period until substitute Igor Zubeldia saw a shot with his first touch deflect off Sergio Escudero to leave David Soria in the Sevilla goal helpless.And Vela rounded off the scoring with a clinical near-post finish to inflict Sevilla’s sixth defeat in their last seven away games in La Liga.Eduardo Berizzo’s men remain fifth but could slip five points off the Champions League places with the top four in action on Friday and Saturday ahead of a two-week winter break.Earlier, Getafe moved up to seventh as early goals from Juan Cala and Amath Ndiaye secured a 2-0 win over Las Palmas, who remain rooted to the foot of the table.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Real Sociedad’s David Zurutuza (C) celebrates teammate Inigo Martinez Berridi’s goal during their match against Sevilla FC in San Sebastian on December 20, 2017 © AFP / ANDER GILLENEAMADRID, Spain, Dec 21 – Sevilla missed the chance to leapfrog Real Madrid into La Liga’s top four as Carlos Vela waved goodbye to Real Sociedad with a goal in a 3-1 win for the Basques on Wednesday.Vela will join new Major League Soccer club Los Angeles FC in January after 250 appearances for Sociedad.last_img read more

Bandari to sign ex-Sofa goalie Ndikumana

first_img0Shares0000Sofapaka keeper Justin Ndikumana shouts out instruction to his defense during their league match against Gor Mahia at the Moi Stadium in Kisumu on May 13, 2019. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 9 – After leaving 2009 champions Sofapaka, Burundian international Justin Ndikumana is set to join Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Shield Champions Bandari and will arrive in Nairobi on Friday to seal the deal.Ndikumana has not returned to Nairobi since being with Burundi at the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Egypt and was among the players who were confirmed to have left Batoto ba Mungu. “Yes, they have approached me and we have had some initial talks. I am coming to Nairobi to complete the deal and hopefully everything goes well,” Ndikumana told Capital Sport from Bujumbura on Thursday.Earlier this week, Bandari tactician Bernard Mwalala had disclosed that the club was negotiating with an unnamed foreign goalkeeper after the exit of Faruk Shikalo who has since joined Tanzanian giants Yanga.“We want to have some good depth in the goalkeeping department. We have two good keepers in Mike (Wanyika) and Mustafa (Oduor). But the addition of an experienced keeper will be very good for us to compete this season,” Mwalala said.Burundi and Sofapaka keeperJustin Ndikumana with former Kakamega Homeboyz shot-stopper Arthur Arakaza during a training session at the Ittihad Alexandria Club on June 21, 2019Ndikumana and compatriot Mousa Omar left Sofapaka after the club signed a deal with an overseas company that required them to bring on board five foreign players.The deal meant Omar, Ndikumana and Soter Kayumba would be locked out of the team. Kayumba has since moved to AFC Leopards on a permanent deal having played for the club on loan for the second half of last season.Ndikumana joined Sofapaka last December from Congolese side St. Elloi Lupopo and played a massive role in their run up to third place in the KPL.He won the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya (SJAK) player of the month award in March and is among the shot stoppers in the running for the goalkeeper of the year award.0Shares0000(Visited 24 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

KPL asks for government help to run league

first_img0Shares0000KPL CEO Jack Oguda during a previous press briefing. Photo/FILENAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 17 – The Kenyan Premier League (KPL) management has asked for the government’s help in running the league due to the exit of sponsors SportPesa and the apparent failure to land a new sponsor immediately.There have been calls for the league to be halted over the current financial cash crunch with most clubs struggling to make their ends meet and one club, Sony Sugar, already having given out a walk over. All the 18 KPL clubs met on Thursday morning at the league’s headquarters in Westlands and while there was an agreement that the league should not be suspended, the clubs have now asked for the government’s help.“We have approached various corporates but due to the current economic situation in the country, the offers being tabled do not meet the demands of the League. It takes time to formalize any sponsorship deal since most corporates operate on running budgets which were already set in the beginning of their respective financial year,” a statement from KPL CEO Jack Oguda reads.He added; We would like to formally plead with the Government to step in and provide a short-term financial solution to facilitate the smooth running of the League. Some of the teams are struggling to honor both local and international matches whilst players and officials risk losing their employment.”-SportPesa exitGor Mahia players line up before a past Kenyan Premier League match. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluWith the exit of SportPesa, KPL as well as Gor Mahia and AFC Leopards have been left without sponsors while most other companies sponsoring teams, especially those from the sugar belt are struggling.The betting company announced two weeks ago that it was folding its Kenyan business due to the tax burden loaded by the new laws.“We also appeal for more tax incentives to corporates that are supporting the sport and to other football stakeholders (fans, corporates) to come and support the beautiful game,” Oguda’s statement further added.There are a few clubs who can sustain themselves under the current financial crunch, most of them being institutional clubs. Tusker, KCB, Ulinzi Stars, Bandari, Wazito and lately Sofapaka who signed a new sponsorship deal with Betika on Wednesday are on a financial safe space.The sugar belt sides; Chemelil, Nzoia and Sony are struggling to make ends meet with their parent companies struggling amidst their failing industries.-Nyayo StadiumThe playing surface is the only positive from the refurbishment of the Nyayo National StadiumMeanwhile, the league managers have asked for the government to expedite the renovation of the Nyayo National Stadium which will attract more fans and reduce the running costs of the teams in terms of travel and accommodation costs.Nairobi based teams have been forced to scramble for the expensive Kasarani Stadium whose availability has not been as frequent.The Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos has been the alternative for most which has led to its overuse.Narok Stadium and Afraha in Nakuru have as well been used as rebounds incase Machakos is fully booked.0Shares0000(Visited 84 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

No doubts! Fabregas insists he has total belief in himself and Chelsea

first_img Cesc Fabregas 1 Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas insists he has not doubted himself during the Blues’ poor start to the season.Jose Mourinho’s side are already 11 points behind Manchester City in the title race but perked up with a comfortable win in the Champions League on Wednesday, albeit against minnows Maccabi Tel-Aviv.Fabregas – after a brilliant impact last season – has received personal criticism for the club’s poor start but has not let it affect him.“I believe in myself more than anyone,” the former Arsenal man said. “Everyone has their doubts when you are not playing well and you don’t get the results you want, but I have been playing too long to worry about stuff that is not important. What is important is my form, getting that better and to be confident.“My confidence is always high, that is not a problem, but sometimes things don’t go well for you for many reasons. But as soon as we realise, like we did in this game [against Maccabi] that we are a fantastic football team, we can compete against the top teams. We won a lot last year and we have to show it this year.”last_img read more

GAA: TIR CHONAILL GAELS LONDON CLUB NEWS

first_imgTir Chonaill Gaels Club Notes 26/11/2012:Fixtures: For club fixtures this weekend please check local papers or the club website.The reserve team have a league final to play against St Kiernans while the under 21 team have a championship final against Tara/Harlesden.The next outing for the senior team will be the All-Ireland club QF against the Munster champions which will be decided this Sunday between Dr Crokes(Kerry) and Castlehaven (Cork). The QF game takes place at Ruislip on Sunday 16th December with a 1pm throw-in. Poker Classic:The club is happy to announce the return of our popular annual poker classic in partnership with bookmakers BET365 on Friday 14th December 2012.This event always creates a lot of interest with a good nights Craic guaranteed, entry fee for poker is £50 which includes a free pint and hot buffet.Maurice Carr who has won this for the last two years (sober) says he will take it easy this time around and will have the beer goggles on.There is only a limited number of 90 places available so book your seat early by contacting club secretary Stephen Mc Loughlin on 07788 723922.25 Card Drive: The club will host a 25 card drive on Thursday 20th December at the clubhouse with a 8pm start time.Entry fee is £5, hampers to be won and other spot prizes.Contact Adrian on 07813 943364 for more details.Lottery: Lotto results for 22nd November 2012.Jackpot £2,650, Numbers drawn 4-8-16-21No jackpot winners, £25 lucky dip winners, Kevin Farrell, c/o TCG, Tommy Shea, c/o Tom O’Connor, Gloria, c/o British Queen bar, N Barrett, c/oTom O’Connor. This weeks draw takes place in the clubhouse on Thursday with a jackpot of £2,700, play online at www.tirchonaillgaels.comGAA: TIR CHONAILL GAELS LONDON CLUB NEWS was last modified: November 25th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:GAA: TIR CHONAILL GAELS LONDON CLUB NEWSlast_img read more

LATEST BURGLARY SUSPECTS RELEASED ON BAIL

first_imgSweeney runs from court after being released on bailA man and a woman have appeared in court charged in connection with a burglary in Moville last weekend.Ciaran Breslin and Caoimhe Sweeney, were brought to Letterkenny District Court in handcuffs this morning. Both are charged with breaking and entering and also causing criminal damage.Both were arrested last Sunday morning and taken to Buncrana Garda station.Judge Paul agreed to release the pair on bail but imposed a number of strict conditions.They have been ordered to sign on at Moville Garda stations three times a week, remain sober, not to interfere with witnesses and to provide Gardai with contact mobile phone numbers.Sweeney’s address was given as 50 Foyle View Crescent, Moville while Breslin’s address was 40 Gulladuff, Moville.Both were released on their own bonds of €250 each.LATEST BURGLARY SUSPECTS RELEASED ON BAIL was last modified: January 21st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:burglaryCaoimhe SweeneyCiaran Breslinmovillelast_img read more

Brills and Lomas Named MVC Women’s Tennis Doubles Team of the Week

first_imgThe Bulldogs return to action on Thursday, March 29 when they host in-state rivals Iowa State. First serve is set for 5 p.m. Print Friendly Version ST. LOUIS – For the second-straight week, a Bulldog doubles team was named Missouri Valley Conference Doubles Team of the Week as senior Summer Brills and junior Joely Lomas received the honor Tuesday, March 20.Brills and Lomas won their only match for the week, and did so in convincing fashion by blanking UC Riverside’s Lauren Wolfe and Tamilia Vaksman, 6-0. As a team, Brills and Lomas are 7-1 at the No. 2 doubles spot.last_img

Ipswich forward to miss Bees clash

first_imgIpswich will be without striker Brett Pitman for their trip to Brentford on Saturday.Pitman has been struggling with a thigh injury he recently picked up in training.He also missed the East Anglian side’s EFL Cup defeat by Stevenage on Tuesday.Luke Hyam is also sidelined for the game at Griffin Park but Daryl Murphy will return after being rested for the Stevenage match.“Brett is still out but we will have everyone else available apart from Luke, who is still getting treatment,” Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy confirmed to the club’s website.“Conor Grant has got a slight groin injury but he will be okay. Daryl Murphy is back as well. He trained today and will play at Brentford.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img