DOH-6 to launch new campaign vs COVID-19

first_imgMeanwhile, the DOH WV-CHD reiterated its call to the public to cooperate and adhere to the protocols and guidelines issued by the government to stop the transmission of the virus. Dubbed as “BIDA Solusyon sa COVID-19,” the campaign seeks to scale up prevention and control initiatives against COVID-19. The DOH emphasized that it is only through public cooperation that a national government-enabled, local government unit-led, and people-centered COVID-19 response can be successfully implemented. (With a report from PIA-Iloilo/PN) Dr. Renilyn Reyes, DOH WV CHD Public Health Development Cluster head,  said “BIDA” stands for “Bawal walang mask,” “I-sanitize ang mga kamay,” “Dumistansya ng isang metro” and “Alamin ang totoong impormasyon.”center_img Reyes said that the BIDA campaign will be launched in Western Visayas on Wednesday, July 8, 2020. ILOILO City – Department of Health Western Visayas Center for Health Development will launch a campaign that will further intensify measures against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).last_img read more

Djokovic claims fifth Dubai title

first_imgRelatedPosts Djokovic clinches fifth Italian Open title Djokovic zooms to 10th Italian Open final Djokovic fined $10,000 for ‘unsportsmanlike conduct’ Novak Djokovic eased past Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-3, 6-4 to lift his fifth Dubai Tennis Championships title on Saturday, extending his unbeaten start to the 2020 season. Both players looked solid on serve early in the opening set before Djokovic turned the screw to break in the eighth game with a searing crosscourt backhand winner. Djokovic closed out the set and continued to press home his advantage with another break of serve early in the second. Tsitsipas fought back to draw level at 3-3 but went on to commit a string of unforced errors and concede two break points in the ninth game. Djokovic surprised his opponent with a wonderfully disguised drop shot to take the lead before sealing victory on the first of his three championship points with a backhand winner down the line. “It was very close even though it was a straight-set win,” said Djokovic, who also won the Dubai titles in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013. “I was fortunate to hold my serve at the start of the match.” Djokovic has now won 21 straight matches, including 18 this season, having already lifted the inaugural ATP Cup with Serbia and a record-extending eighth Australian Open title last month. The 32-year-old dropped just one set in Dubai this week as he fought off three match points to overcome France’s Gael Monfils in the semifinals. “Yesterday I was one shot away from losing the match when three match points down, and it could have easily happened I was not here. That is sport — things can turnaround quickly,” Djokovic said. “I have played really well in most of the matches. This is a big win for me.”Tags: ATP CupDubai Tennis ChampionshipsGael MonfisNovak DjokovicStefanos Tsitsipaslast_img read more

Ligue 1 opening match postponed after Marseille report four COVID-19 cases

first_imgRelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians Ligue 1’s opening match of the new season has been postponed from Friday night, French professional football’s governing body, the LFP, said on Tuesday.The development arose after Olympique de Marseille said they had confirmed four cases of COVID-19. “In view of medical results passed on by Olympique Marseille (…) the LFP has decided to postpone the Olympique de Marseille/AS Saint-Etienne game to September 16 or September 17,” the LFP said in statement.The game was the only fixture set for Friday, with the rest of Ligue 1’s first round of 2020/2021 matches spread out over Saturday and Sunday.The LFP told clubs last week it had set up a “COVID committee” to advise on whether to postpone matches.When a club reports more than three coronavirus cases, postponement is likely, based on the “COVID protocol” the LFP sent out to the clubs.Among the “Big Five” European football nations, France was the only one to end its season prematurely due to the pandemic. Paris St-Germain were awarded the Ligue 1 title.The Parisian club and Olympique Lyonnais have reached the semi-finals of the reformatted UEFA Champions League, the first time that two French teams will compete at that level.Olympique Marseille is France’s only winner of the biggest prize in European football.Almost 40 players from 11 Ligue 1 clubs out of 20 have tested positive for COVID-19, including some at Saint-Etienne.Spain’s Mediapro agreed in early June with TF1, France’s biggest private TV operator, to form a new channel to air top Ligue 1 league matches in the country. Mediapro holds the rights to air top Ligue 1 matches for the 2020/2021 to 2023/2024 seasons.Reuters/NAN.Tags: COVID-19Ligue 1Olympique de Marseillelast_img read more

Serena pulls out of Italian Open

first_imgRelatedPosts Djokovic zooms to 10th Italian Open final Nadal stunned by Schwartzman in Italian Open quarter-finals, Djokovic survives Koepfer Serena heads to French Open with time running out for number 24 Serena Williams has pulled out of the upcoming Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome due to an Achilles injury.The American’s bid for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam singles title ended with a defeat to Victoria Azarenka at Flushing Meadows on Thursday, a match in which she took a medical timeout to have her left ankle re-taped due to the Achilles problem. “I regretfully must withdraw from The Internazionali BNL d’Italia due to an Achilles strain,” Williams said in a statement.“I’m so humbled by the continuous support from my fans in Rome and I look forward to making my return soon.”Double Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova, 2019 US Open champion Bianca Andreescu and top-ranked Ash Barty have also pulled out of the women’s event.“Unfortunately, I have made the tough decision to withdraw from Rome this year,” Kvitova said.“It is always one of my favourite places to visit and I really look forward to being back in Italy next year. I wish the tournament every success and congratulate them on all their hard work to put on a safe event.” Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev, who will contest the US Open men’s final on Sunday, have withdrawn from the men’s tournament.Tags: Achilles problemItalian openSerena Williamslast_img read more

Al Mubarak: Expect swift action

first_img City did attract criticism after parting company with Mancini, as the Italian had led the club to their first title in 44 years in 2012. But Manuel Pellegrini has proved a popular, reliable and successful replacement and the club feel their decision has been vindicated. Al Mubarak said: “The decision to hire Pellegrini was a very important decision for us as we look at the next couple of years. “I am absolutely delighted for him, for the fans, for the club, for everyone involved at Manchester City. “It is a perfectly justified decision. I think the results speak for themselves.” One of the next targets for City will be to carry their domestic pre-eminence onto the European stage. Some progress on this front has been made under Pellegrini, with the club reaching the Champions League knockout stage for the first time. Al Mubarak said: “This year we have made some progress. We have played much better football, been a lot more competitive and I think the experience coming through the two games against Barcelona will be invaluable for us. “Let’s be clear – Europe has always been an integral part of our strategy, an integral part of the success we want to achieve for this club. We will continue to progress.” Al Mubarak also paid tribute to two City players who are now out of contract in Joleon Lescott and Gareth Barry and are set to leave this summer. Defender Lescott, signed from Everton in an acrimonious £22million deal in 2009, played a key role in the 2012 title win. Al Mubarak said: “He is a wonderful man. He has served this club loyally and he has had some of his best performances in his career here at Manchester City. “I look back at the challenge when we first brought Joleon in and the reaction he had at Everton. It was a tough time for him but I am really happy for him. He came here and had a wonderful career. “We will miss him and I really want to thank him for all his efforts.” Barry, who also joined the club in 2009, enjoyed four good seasons in the City midfield before joining Everton on loan last summer. Al Mubarak said: “Gareth is another one of those wonderful players that made a big career decision when he decided to join City. “He was a loyal player in our squad, fully committed to our cause, had some phenomenal performances. “He really was a great player for Manchester City. I really want to wish him all the best going forward.” City are keen to build on their success of 2013-14, in which they won both the Barclays Premier League and Capital One Cup, even though they face a spending cap as a result of UEFA sanctions. The European governing body has limited City’s net outlay on players this summer to £49million as one of their punishments for breaching financial fair play regulations. Press Association But City said last week that figure would have no “material impact” on planned transfer activity that Al Mubarak now says will begin imminently. Al Mubarak told City TV: “We know exactly what needs to be done. We know exactly the players that need to go and the players that need to come in, the areas that need to be strengthened, the players that we intend to bring in to fill these areas. “I can tell our fans to expect, as last year, an efficient and swift execution plan. “We will have, after the World Cup, a good pre-season and we will go into the season very ready, as we did last year, to compete for four championships.” City’s actions last summer, including the sacking of Roberto Mancini as manager, put the club back on an upward trajectory after a relatively disappointing end to the 2012-13 season. Al Mubarak reported that owner Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi has been delighted with progress in the past 12 months. He said: “Sheikh Mansour feels this club is doing exactly what he intended it to do in terms of performance across the board – on the field, off field, trophies, championships and wins, but also commercial success, and the fans’ support has been unwavering. “Genuinely, Sheikh Mansour is absolutely delighted with the way this club, this company, this business is performing.” Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak has promised the newly-crowned champions will act swiftly and decisively in the transfer market this summer.last_img read more

Deadly Asian “Murder Hornets” are Here

first_imgLook up in the sky, is it a bird or a plane, no it’s a gigantic Asian hornet that can fly up to 20-miles per hour, rip the heads off of honeybees and even eat meat.So-called “Murder Hornets” from Asia have now reported in the U-S for the first time. The large, invasive insects grow up to 2-inches in length and pose a big threat to the country’s already-declining honeybee population. The massive insects been spotted in Washington State and are stirring fears for honeybees and humans.Multiple stings can even be fatal to some humans. The hornet’s venom is deadly and its stinger is long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit. In Japan, the hornets kill up to 50 people a year. Now, for the first time, they have arrived in the United States.U.S. Farmers depend on honeybees to pollinate many crops such as apples, blueberries and cherries. Asian giant hornets can use mandibles shaped like spiked shark fins to wipe out a honeybee hive in a matter of hours, decapitating the bees and flying away with the bee bodies to feed their young. The State Department of Agriculture will start trying to trap for queens this Spring. Queens that can grow to two inches long.last_img read more

DEFY boys’ team breaks 15-year drought to win Sheriff’s Cup

first_imgELLSWORTH — After coming up just short in the championship game a year ago, the Down East Family YMCA boys’ basketball team wasn’t going to be denied a Sheriff’s Cup title this time around.DEFY defeated Brewer in the title game Sunday to be crowned 2018 Sheriff’s Cup winners. The team finished the tournament with a 7-1 record to win its first Sheriff’s Cup championship in 15 years and hoist the trophy for the fourth time.The DEFY team started the tournament Friday by beating Narraguagus and Baileyville 61-39 and 69-31, respectively. After beating a team from Holden’s Holbrook School 55-40 on Saturday, DEFY lost to Brewer 49-47 the following game.Yet that would prove to be DEFY’s only loss in the tournament; the team beat Downeast Pride of Northfield 55-34 before topping Brewer by double digits three straight times to avenge the defeat and hoist the trophy for the fourth time.The DEFY boys’ basketball team poses for a photo after its Sheriff’s Cup title win March 11 in Ellsworth. The team’s championship was its fourth in history and first in 15 years. HANCOCK COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT PHOTOThis is placeholder textThis is placeholder textThis year’s DEFY team was composed of Hunter Curtis, Eamon McDonald, Brody Mercier, Evan Strout, Michael Palmer, Teague Smallidge, Brett Bragdon, Michael Harris, Gage Hardy, Keegan Omlor, Ty Giberson and Harrison Walden. Dan Curtis, Mike Harris and Aaron Pinckney were the team’s head coaches.Fifteen boys’ teams competed in the tournament. In addition to the six aforementioned teams, Team Thunderstruck, Houlton, Lawrence, Hall-Dale, Hampden Academy, Mount Desert Island A and B, Schoodic Celtics and Calais also participated.On the girls’ side, the MDI A team (6-0) emerged as the top team in a field of 13 other squads to bring home the championship. It was the first Sheriff’s Cup title for an MDI girls’ team.MDI’s roster consisted of Bailey Goodell, Elena Alderman, Leah Carroll, Elizabeth Jones, Molly Ritter, Emily Carter, Olivia Gray, Mollie Gray and Mia Eason with Katy Lawson as coach. The team posted individual victories over Lubec and Glenburn and beat Hampden and Houlton twice to win the title.This year’s Sheriff’s Cup was the 18th edition of the popular tournament, which raises money for charities throughout Hancock County. Games were held at Ellsworth High School, Ellsworth Elementary-Middle School and the Down East Family YMCA. Bio MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020 Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 Latest Postscenter_img Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at mmandell@ellsworthamerican.com. Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020last_img read more

Home improvement

first_imgWorkers install windows at the new Ronald Tutor Campus Center, which has undergone construction since the project broke ground in April 2008. The four-story, $120-million complex, which replaced Commons, is projected to be ready for student use by the fall semester of 2010.last_img

Freshmen impress in early matchups

first_imgBrittney Dolgner and the Badgers will take on UW-Green Bay before beginning Big Ten play next week.[/media-credit]Wisconsin volleyball coach Pete Waite highlighted the team’s progression despite its 4-4 record during his news conference Monday afternoon. The team has a fairly tough schedule this year, which Waite notes as an attribute to promoting team growth and development. Waite said that if the team had easy teams on the schedule there would not be any room for improvement even if it were winning.“It is a challenge for us,” Waite said. “We want to make sure everything is positive for the players right now. It is easy to get down on themselves since they are used to being a winning program all of the time. But if they are making improvements, that’s the thing we’re excited about.”Among the keys for the team to improve upon, Waite called for a consistent high level of play as a determining factor for the team’s success. Last week’s match against Notre Dame was a key example of the team’s ability to start off strong, but inability to maintain its competitiveness throughout the entire match.Notre Dame (4-3) is a strong team that has already knocked off Stanford, a team that reached the semifinals in last year’s NCAA Tournament. The Badgers finished second in the Notre Dame Invitational last week, with senior Brittney Dolgner and sophomore Elle Ohlander being selected to the all-tournament team.However, Waite was especially proud of the team’s match against Oregon State on Sept. 6, during which the Badgers pushed the match to five sets and beat a high-caliber team on its own court.“Bit by bit we’re finding out where people are going to be on the court and they’re getting more used to each other and especially when we were at Oregon State last week,” Waite said. “We played a high level, beat a very good team on their home court and we saw that sustained for five sets. And again, that was a long match and they did a great job, so we’re seeing some great signs.”Badgers set for Big Ten playThe team is seeking its first winning streak of the season as it prepares for its match against UW-Green Bay Wednesday. After that, the Wisconsin volleyball team will take a much-needed week of practice to rest up and work on technique improvement before moving into their Big Ten schedule when the Badgers face Iowa on Sept. 23.After finishing with a 7-13 record in conference play last year, Waite has even higher regard for the Big Ten this season.“We know the Big Ten is even stronger this year than it was last year,” Waite said. “It is deeper than it ever has been.”Waite called attention to the 6-foot-6-inch Ohlander as a middle blocker who has stepped out of the midst of the others on the team. He also acknowledged setter Janelle Gabrielsen for her athletic ability to adjust to the single setter formation despite having no prior experience in that system.“Elle Ohlander in the middle is stepping up,” Waite said. “We knew there were about four middles that were very close, but she’s really been the one stepping up to be the most consistent.”Freshmen adjusting quicklyWaite drew attention to the strong play of the freshmen that have adjusted quickly to the pace of the college game. Kelsey Maloney, Alexis Mitchell and Mary Ording are all freshmen who have been learning the middle blocker position.Waite emphasizes the importance of their ability to improve their blocking techniques as the season progresses.“[The freshmen need] to react and not guess on sets where the setter is going front or back,” Waite said. “As soon as they start reading more instead of guessing, they’re going to be there faster and do a better job with that.”The freshmen are learning quickly as the team recorded a record 10 blocks in its 3-0 win over New Mexico State on Sept. 12. Waite was pleased with the Badgers’ ability to respond to a tough loss against Notre Dame and improve from it.“Some kids improved and that’s really what we’re trying to do is teach them from match to match to change some things and be better players,” Waite said.last_img read more

Cup and league action on local soccer agenda

first_imgThe Tipp Town side travel to take on Carrick Utd in a match which gets underway at 2.00pm.Meanwhile, in the FAI Junior Cup 2nd Round Wilderness Rovers host Thurles Town at 3 o’clock.There are also four matches in South Tipperary’s Clonmel Credit Union Premier League: Tipp Town V Clonmel Town (3.00pm); Two Mile Borris V Galbally Utd (3.00pm); Old Bridge V Clonmel Town (12.00pm); and Peake Villa V Cashel Town (3.00pm).last_img