As well as the sold-out 16-team HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series 2018 main event running across three days from Friday-Sunday, two qualifier events will also run parallel to the core competition.Twelve teams will battle it out in the men’s world series qualifier, with the winner taking the prestigious prize of core team status for 2019. The same applies in the women’s qualifier competition, played across Thursday and Friday, with a core team spot on the HSBC World Rugby Women’s Sevens Series 2019 up for grabs.In the men’s world series, reigning Cathay Pacific/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens champions Fiji will enter this year’s tournament chasing their fourth consecutive title. The Pacific Islanders have brought a star-studded squad to the competition as they look to leapfrog series leaders South Africa, who are just eight points ahead in the standings. “For the Fijians this is one of the biggest tournaments that exists,” said coach Gareth Baber. “I’ve selected a squad to go and win both Hong Kong and the Commonwealth Games and we’re ready to compete at the highest level.”With a hotly anticipated Rugby World Cup Sevens in San Francisco just over 100 days away, hosts USA will be aiming to make their mark in Hong Kong and build on their Cup-winning form in Las Vegas last month. “The competition is as intense as ever,” said USA coach Mike Friday. “Ultimately it’s about which teams delivers on the pitch in front of an electric atmosphere. When you get the opportunity to play in Hong Kong, you grab it with both hands.”Hosts Hong Kong will look to improve on their quarter-final exit from last year’s qualifying competition and captain Ben Rimene is hoping training with the likes of Fiji has got them set for the event.”We moved into the hotel yesterday and had training with Fiji last Saturday which has given us an idea of the level that’s required, so we’re settling in well,” he said. “We’ve done the training so we’re just fine tuning everything so we can get stuck in this Friday.”Playing in front of a home crowd there’s always going to be pressure, but we just have to take it as motivation and accept it, we know what’s expected. The crowd is always supportive no matter what the results are. We know they want a win and we’re hoping we can deliver that.”In the women’s qualifier, which will be played in the main stadium on Friday for the first time, Wales captain Philippa Tuttiett is excited by the challenge and prospect of core team status.”We’re focusing on ourselves going into this tournament, it may sound cliche but it’s down to our performance,” she said. “We’ve been building for this now for about two years, we’ve got a great set of players in a really challenging environment. As individuals we’re all world-class players we just have to bring it all together on the day and if we look after that we should enjoy the tournament.”
In the Premier Mixed division, Kamuna will take on Veupunama 1.President of the PNGMMNC Adam Parker said, the games between these two teams have always been close and strongly contested.“Kamuna has proved liable for their win in the preliminary final game last week after knocking out Mona to secure the grand final spot and they looked tough and fit to claim this year’s premier mixed title,” Parker said.“But there’s nothing compared to a good team with good team spirit, players combination and fast foot agility like the Veupunama’s.”Parker added that it will be a game to watch in these grand final matches.Meanwhile, BSP 2 will face PNGFP in the Social A mixed division title while the Social B mixed division will be between a very determined Graffitti side against the top Lasi 2 lineup in a most head busting clash.PNG Mixed and Men’s Netball Association grand final draws:6.30pm SOCIAL B Grand FinalLASI 2 vs GRAFITTI7.15pm SOCIAL A Grand FinalPNGFP vs VEUPUNAMA 28.00pm PREMIER MIXED Grand FinalVEUPUNAMA 1 vs KAMUNA
The pioneer team will be making its debut appearance in the 2016 Black Orchid 7’s tournament in Bougainville next week with the support of its major Sponsor CPL group.CPL sales manager David Bell said the company, being the major sponsor to some of the national and international sporting teams, is proud to support the team though it was a late call.“Due to the late call in the middle of the year, CPL pledged to support the team any possible way to make it count for the team,” Bell said.As part of the major sponsor of the team, CPL made a commitment in delivering uniform sets and rugby gears to the team, and pledged to make travelling arrangements in Arawa.The CPL Central Highlanders Union team consists of players particularly from the Central and Highlands region who play in the Capital Rugby Union (CRU) Competition in the city.The newly-formed team will make its first appearance in the tournament among some of the well-known rugby union teams around the country like Kimbe Rebels, Madang MadGunz and the host, the Black Orchids.The team will be led by PNG Mosquito’s former representative David Topelly, and second by former SLS Cowboys unbreakable forward Mathew Owadeba.The team will leave for Arawa today for the five-day rugby 7’s tournament.
The electrifying atmosphere around the complex set the tone for an enthralling match of intense high class netball.As both teams took the court, everyone wanted to know, does Kamuna have the ability to deal with the top team in the competition or would the Veupunama 1 be too strong and win their first straight title after a long reign on the premier’s ladder.Tight opening minutes of the match saw both teams exchange goals as they focused on maintaining possession to keep the scoreboard ticking over before the first quarter.The second quarter opened up much like the first, with both teams exchanging early goals. However, Veupunama came onto the court with an improved patience, forcing turnovers and some steady shooting.An increased intensity in defense saw the Kamunas make some crucial errors as both Veupunama’s goal shooters began to find space under the post and occupy Kamuna’s defensive unit.Changes were also made all over the court, introducing fresh legs for both sides as Kamunas shoot actively under Veupunamas goal. But the Veupunamas steadily increased their lead until the final whistle saw them thrash Kamunas 32-26.In the social A mixed division, PNGFP took a nail biting victory over Veupunama 2 to be crowned the champions whilst in the social B mixed division, Lasi 2 thrashed Graffiti to claim the social B title.
“The Honourable MP has clearly been misinformed, as it is very evident that he did not see or read my statement in person,” Tkatchenko said.”There is nothing in my statement that labels all Western Highlanders, as stated by the MP.“I suggest that he go through my statement personally, and make his conclusions.”The National Government is the key stakeholder for hosting rights for the upcoming 2016 FIFA Under 20 Womens World Cup in November, and the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, and this incident has brought our credibility to host such events into question.“Everything that we have worked hard for as a Government, to bring these games to our shores, could all be thrown out the window, due to the actions of those supporters and Official.“It doesn’t matter where this official comes from, his actions are totally unacceptable and are a total disgrace,” Tkatchenko said.Picture: File photo of Minister for Sports Justin Tkatchenko
The Spanish tennis player Rafa Nadal will debut before the Bolivian Hugo Dellien in the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the season and that starts next Monday, and will face a tough draw until the final rounds, although he avoided the Swiss Roger Federer for his side. For the women’s team, Garbiñe Muguruza will have to suffer to return to the top but will do so without favorites along the way.The draw that was held on Thursday of the final picture of the ‘big’ that is played in Melbourne Park was not excessively benevolent with Manacor, although the hard track does not leave too much room to choose which rivals are more suitable.In this sense, the ‘best’ news was that the faces would not be seen until a hypothetical final, in addition to the Serbian Novak Djokovic, current champion and favorite number two, with the Swiss Roger Federer, third series head who will go for the side of Belgrade.The premiere of the 2009 champion will be against Bolivian Hugo Dellien, currently number 72 in the world rankings who will play for the first time this ‘Grand Slam’ and against which he has never played. If it surpasses the South American, the Argentine Federico Delbonis or the Portuguese João Sousa would be the next opponent, while in the third round he could measure his compatriot and doubles partner in the ATP Cup, Pablo Carreño, head number 27 and still He doesn’t know his first rival. From there, the road will steep because between its possible crossings of the round of 16 two ‘bones’ are glimpsed. One is the wayward Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios, with whom he does not maintain a good relationship either on or off the track and with whom he would play with the public ‘against’, and the other is the Russian Karen Kachanov.For the quarterfinals, the world number one would have the Austrian Dominic Thiem, fifth favorite, and on his side of the box to reach the final he fell the Russian Daniil Medvedev, fourth head of series and with which he already lived a ‘battle ‘on the hard track in the final of the last US Open.As for Djokovic, a great favorite and seven times champion of the tournament, the start will not be entirely comfortable against a punch like German Jan-Lennard Struff and until the quarterfinals the picture seems more friendly. There, the names of the Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas and Roberto Bautista are presented as favorites.For the semifinals could be Roger Federer, who will debut before the American Steve Johnson and who has dangerous players like Canadian Denis Shapovalov, Polish Hubert Hurkacz or the unpredictable Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, with Italian Matteo Berrettini as a possible rival in rooms.Of the rest of Spaniards, Bautista, who has shown good form in the ATP Cup and that starts as the ninth head of the series, will live a complicated national duel against Feliciano López. Fernando Verdasco and Alejandro Davidovich must wait until the previous one ends, and Albert Ramos will face the Australian Alex Bolt, Jaume Munar the Frenchman Hugo Gaston, Roberto Carballés the Lithuanian Ricardas Berankis, and Pablo Andújar the American Michel Mmoh.Garbiñe and Suárez, to try to return in styleFor its part, in the women’s team, the Spanish-Venezuelan Garbiñe Muguruza, who had to retire this Thursday from the Hobart tournament due to a viral infection, will have a rival classified since the previous one, but already in the third round he could cross the Ukrainian Elina Svitolina, fifth favorite.In addition, the Canarian Carla Suarez will have a hard premiere, as she will face the Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka, eleventh seeded, and the Castellon Sara Sorribes will cross with the Russian Veronika Kudermetova, who will play the semifinals in Hobart for the abandonment of Muguruza . Paula Badosa also has to wait for the previous one to end.The world number one, the local Asleigh Barty, will start against the Ukrainian Lesia Tsurenko and will go to the side of the Japanese Naomi Osaka, defender of the title, and the American Serena Williams. He will debut before the Bolivian Dellien; Delbonis, Carreño and Kyrgios, on the roadThiem and Medvedev are the last two hypothetical steps towards the finalGarbiñe Muguruza and Carla Suárez avoid Barty, Osaka and Serena Williams Nadal, along with Carlos Moyá, during a training in Australia. Photo: Reuters
Alarms have been activated in Liverpool just five days after the crucial round of the Champions League round of 16 match against Atlético de Madrid. The technician of the reds, Jürgen Klopp, has confirmed that its starting goalkeeper, Alisson Becker, suffers a muscle injury in the hip. The goalkeeper is safe low for Saturday’s Premier League match against Bournemouth and, most importantly, next Wednesday’s duel against Atletico in Anfield is lost, in which Liverpool is obliged to overcome the 1-0 of the first leg that got the Simeone team.“Unfortunately, Ali is out,” Klopp announced. in his press conference this Friday. “It’s not available for next week. Not for tomorrow, not for next week, “ confirmed the German coach, who explained the goalkeeper’s ailment: “He had a small incident in training before the Chelsea game. We all thought it was nothing and it was clear that he would not play anyway, the plan was to be on the bench, “confirmed the coach. On the specific nature of the injury, the German coach said: “It is muscle, mild, in the hip region. A small muscle. All of you – for journalists – could do their job with that injury, but a professional goalkeeper is slightly different. That is the situation, “Klopp said, adding that the Brazilian goalkeeper could return after the selection stop on March 28-29:” I would say that after the international break he would be back one hundred percent. What we can get before that, we’ll see. “Adrian’s opportunityIn the absence of Alisson, everything indicates that his position will be occupied by Spanish Adrián San Miguel, the hero of the last European Super Cup against Chelsea by stopping the decisive penalty that gave the title to Liverpool in the final round after 2-2 with which the extension ended. The Sevilla goalkeeper plays his first season at Anfield after signing last summer from West Ham. He has played 16 games this season (10 Premier, 3 FA Cup, 2 Champions and 1 European Super Cup) in which he has received 20 goals, and only three times has he been able to leave his goal to zero. Becker ya dragged hip ailments before the FA Cup match against Chelsea, in which Liverpool was eliminated. Klopp decided not to risk and leave him on the bench until he was observed by the doctors. The next day, the tests confirmed the injury: “Against Chelsea, we think, ‘Come on, we don’t have to take any risks’, so we left him out of the team. There was a scanner the next day and they found something. Therefore, now is out of the team We’ll see, but next week for sure – that will not play-, and then we’ll see, “he settled.
LaLiga Santander* Data updated as of March 14, 2020 The goal is paid at a gold price in football and Betis has a treasure with Loren Morón although the Marbella player has raised his foot in the scoring aspect since the season began, which started with seven goals in his first eight league games. Now he has nine, and two in the Cup. Loren scored for Valencia and returned to win his title against Real Madrid, before which A good game came back to fruition and during which several scouts from the Premier and Serie A spied on him. In summer, there will undoubtedly be offers for the 16 verdiblanco.With contract until 2022, the clause of between 40 and 50 million euros that has the Malaga tip does not seem an obstacle to negotiate for him for a significant number of English and Italian clubs. Last summer, in fact, several Premiership teams set their sights on the footballer and were willing to pay an amount close to the 10 million that Betis would have accepted. But Loren did not want to go to a category that was not maximum. And that the footballer did not understand that Borja Iglesias, arrived in Heliópolis in exchange for about 30 million last summer, He will alternate and / or steal the title many times despite the fact that the Compostela striker’s numbers are not being the best. So far Borja has scored only three goals for Betis, all of them in the League.Barcelona asked for Loren in search of a substitute for the injured Luis Suárez, but Betis asked for more than 20 million euros. The Lokomotiv in Moscow also tried him in winter, but it also did not reach the amounts that Betis wanted then, willing to price him more than 30 for the teams that will surely be interested in his 9 squad next summer.
André Cury, executive of the Barça technical secretariat for operations in the South American market, has been diagnosed with coronavirus as reported by UOL. Cury, who in recent years has had an active participation in the signings of players such as Neymar, Yerry Mina, Paulinho or Arthur, was diagnosed positive in tests of the Covid-19 and confirmed that his wife is also affected. Of course, Cury wanted to make it clear to UOL that the health of both is good. “We are doing well, treating each other day by day,” Cury said. Andre Cury had also been the protagonist in recent months for the signings of unknown players for Barça B such as Matheus Pereira, Matheus Fernandez and, in recent days, the preferential option for Gustavo Maia, for whom the Blaugrana club has already paid a million euros for the purchase option. If you want to close the operation, you will have to put 3.5 million euros before June 30 to get 70% of your economic rights. The remaining 30% would be kept by Sao Paulo. Cury will have to activate the operation after recovering.
During the 2019/20 academic year, Harvey Elliott has played a total of seven games with Liverpool, made his Premier League debut and was on the bench in the Club World Cup final against Flamengo. Along the way, he has broken a few records: that of the youngest footballer to start in an official first team match (16 years and 174 days against MK Dons) and that of the youngest in the club in an FA Cup match (16 years, 9 months and 1 day against Everton). “It’s not too far from settling with the elders since he trains every day with the first squad. He has already had exposure to the first level and both the coach and his staff think a lot about him, “explained Neil Critchley, coach of the second network team.Harvey Elliott too leads England’s U17 generation, despite the fact that this year’s European has been suspended. However, it looks like it won’t last long in that category. If everything follows its rhythm, Elliott will not need a loan to finish training. “It’s easy to convince yourself when you see him train,” said Klopp. At Liverpool they have a secure future. If they have already confirmed themselves as one of the most fearsome teams in Europe, the coming years also promise victories. The new litter of players is already knocking on the door of Jürgen Klopp and whoever does the loudest responds to the name of Harvey Elliott (April 4, 2003), who is turning 17 today.Despite his youth, he has been playing for all English football fans for more than a year, since His official debut with Fulham in a Cup match came at the age of 15. A few months later, on the last day of the last Premier League, premiered in league competition at 16 years and 30 days and he became the youngest footballer in history to do so, breaking the previous record in more than a month.Elliott was the protagonist during the summer. Having not signed any professional contract with Fulham, tAll the great teams fell on top of him. He ended up accepting Liverpool’s proposal, club of his childhood: they placed him directly in the branch while Klopp would give him loose opportunities throughout the season. And so it has been.